Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s see those homemade front bumpers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let’s see those homemade front bumpers!

I know there are several threads but could not find one like I was looking for so I am starting one. My father in law taught welding at a local tech school for 30+ years and has ALOT of steel lying around. I am a mediocre welder at best but with a master Jedi to teach me the ways of the force I am sure I can accomplish the project. So what I am looking for are pictures of preferably homemade or custom front bumpers on Disco trucks to get some ideas. I have looked and looked but mostly find ARB pictures. I was hoping to get started this weekend. Would love to just buy a new Terrafirma or ARB but can’t justify spending a grand on the truck for a bumper knowing I am going to need to spend it fixing something else before it is all over. Ha-ha.

So post up your front bumper pics please!!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just the sort of thread I needed! After some illegal, no-insurance carrying, non-English speaking lady ran her SUV right into the front-driver's side of mine, I'm in the market for a new front bumper. Mine is broken to bits on one side now (it was in perfect condition before) and the cheapest stock replacement I can find is about $700 shipped. I got some cash from these folks, but still can't stomach spending that much on a front bumper.

I work at a steel fab shop and don't mind spending a Saturday throwing something together. The only thing I'm not too great at is designing something without spending an eternity on it. So I need suggestions / pictures!

Even with high steel prices right now (0.60 / lb. or so), I bet I can make one for less than $100 in material. Anyone make their own?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Drifting

I agreee. Have a couple of Warn trays laying around to use as well. Would love to build something with an open top so I can put a 8274 in it.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This one was made by Hard Labor Creek Fabrications

Name:  786A0DBF-39AD-4A10-8B0D-530148DA2820-2803-00000196A376CBC6.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  276.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0427_zps380fbf7a.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0025_zps7d3ead4e.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  145.2 KB

It has a winch tray built in.

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-19-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
This is just the sort of thread I needed! After some illegal, no-insurance carrying, non-English speaking lady ran her SUV right into the front-driver's side of mine, I'm in the market for a new front bumper. Mine is broken to bits on one side now (it was in perfect condition before) and the cheapest stock replacement I can find is about $700 shipped. I got some cash from these folks, but still can't stomach spending that much on a front bumper.

I work at a steel fab shop and don't mind spending a Saturday throwing something together. The only thing I'm not too great at is designing something without spending an eternity on it. So I need suggestions / pictures!

Even with high steel prices right now (0.60 / lb. or so), I bet I can make one for less than $100 in material. Anyone make their own?
IMO with the price of the OEM bumpers you'd be crazy to not just put a terrafirma bumper on for the same or less money. Making your own would be a great alternative.

I've looked at another rover that removed the bumper and painted underneath(it was rhino lined) and it didn't look bad at all(much better than a cracked one).

Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a "Bumper" Thread. It's long, but hey, you obviously don't have anything else to do all day.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...stalled-56591/

Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Drifting

I saw those. I like yours but was looking for something more low profile with an open winch tray so I have more winch options.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Winch tray makes the price go up, and most people say you need some more spring or a lift to handle the extra weight. I haven't gone off-road in this truck yet, but a winch would be great and give it some "attitude".
Then I would want tires, rock sliders, skid pans, 4" lift, lights, roof rack, flame throwers, machine guns, rocket launchers and G.O.K's what else!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Haha I hear you. Mine is already running a 2" OME medium lift and shocks so should not be an issue.

Quick Reply: Let’s see those homemade front bumpers!