Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lethal suspension (and identify my fuel tank)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lethal suspension (and identify my fuel tank)

I need some advice on what a standard Disco II should handle like because mine tried to do away with itself this evening. I entered a 90º left hander on a B road, at low speed but granted a little quick for the conditions, regardless though the back end was way too eager to try and overtake me. Worse, the car wasn't very willing to become composed thereafter. Tough to quantify but you'll have to take my word for it.

So I'm just wondering, what are Discovery II's like to handle generally? My '73 RR is on rails by comparison but more to the point, if I take it beyond it's comfort levels it's far more forgiving once it lets go.

Fair's fair, the Discovery's tyres are in good nick but only two of them match, and there's visible play in the torsion bar bushes both front and back. The rear shocks are OME. But I don't know enough about the car (or OME) to tell whether it's been lifted. Are all OME shocks longer, do their presence automatically point to a lift? The car leans to the nearside a little at the front. The old RR's had unequal front springs from the factory which were usually replaced with equal length ones, are DII's the same? Also the rear of the car is higher than the front. (springs all round)

Where else should I be looking? I'm new to this A.C.E. thing too and up until this I was singing it's praises because I have a lovely supple ride but lovely flat cornering too.

Sometime's it oversteers like crazy, other times it ploughs on straight with horrible understeer. At times I've found myself wondering whether there's actually a diff in the front axle.

I'm going to try upload a pic so you can see how she sits.

On a side note, my fuel tank is steel and has an extra section (also steel) on the offside of the car, joined to the main tank by a small hose that bridges the underside of the chassis. I thought all Discovery 2 tanks were plastic. Is this some sort of factory option or phased out feature? The car is from 2001.

Many apologies for the long post! Sorry sorry.

George

EDIT: Dope! I should have put two and two together, but I've just realised the tank is an aftermarket long range thing with auxiliary. And it's seemingly 50kg dry so the norm is to fit heavy duty springs. So the two questions turn out to be related.

Attached Thumbnails Lethal suspension (and identify my fuel tank)-screen-shot-2013-12-07-02.58.16.jpg   Lethal suspension (and identify my fuel tank)-screen-shot-2013-11-03-18.47.13.jpg   Lethal suspension (and identify my fuel tank)-adverts-disco.jpg  

Last edited by Shackleton; 12-07-2013 at 05:27 AM.