Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk OBD

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I saw that too but was skeptical of it being that much cheaper. I'd also like to hear any stories good or bad. Also I cant really tell what the difference is between the 510 and the 520 The specs all appear to be the same.
I just called him. Theres a phone number in the auction. He said they are real. He also said add ons are $60 each which is also cheaper than anywhere else. If I read the foxwell website correctly, they upgrade by way of serial numbers so if the scanner is fake and if it has a fake serial you wont be able to upgrade. I think I'm going to buy one to try it and if I get any tom foolery I will just send it back and claim deception. I would like a good scanner as I have an audi and a saab. I could buy the addons and be ahead.

I just changed o2 sensors and ran into a problem now so it would be very helpful. I use a solus but that has generic software for land rover which sucks.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I looked and could not find a definitive list of what it woudl do for Disco's that the Delphi would not - do we have that list? I think it will do the key program thing but what about matching ECU to Inst. Cluster? Program an ECU or BCU? Change BCU programming (locks, etc)?

Old 08-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Extinct
I looked and could not find a definitive list of what it woudl do for Disco's that the Delphi would not - do we have that list? I think it will do the key program thing but what about matching ECU to Inst. Cluster? Program an ECU or BCU? Change BCU programming (locks, etc)?
I dont think it will do those things...I read that you cant reprogram keys...

what is the delphi?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Speaking of reprogramming keys...

doesnt this work?

Land Rover 1996 (Oval Shape)

Procedure

1. Ensure ignition is OFF, doors unlocked, bonnet switch closed.

2. Ensure procedure from 3 to 9 is completed within 8 seconds.

3. Switch Ignition ON

4. Switch Ignition OFF

5. Lock Doors and Unlock Doors

6. Release Bonnet Switch

7. Switch Ignition ON

8. Switch Ignition OFF

9. If alarm is set, horn will sound and LED with light. Now programming of plips can be completed.

10. Press and hold down button on plip until LED flashes.

11. Repeat for additional plips.

12. The dash LED will extinguish if both plips have been programmed successfully.

2002 models (BMW remote in key)

Procedure

1. With the doors shut and from inside the vehicle.

2. Turn ignition to position 1 and back to off within 5 seconds

3. Remove key from ignition and press and hold the unlock button (has an arrow on it) for 15 seconds during this time press the key lock button (has Land Rover logo) 3 times within 5 seconds

4. Release both buttons

5. Doors will lock and unlock to show correct programming has occurred

Freelander (with Rover type 2 button remote)

Procedure

Unlock the car using the key, then operate the lock button on the handset at least 4 times.

Alternative Method

Procedure

Unlock the car using the key, then press lock & unlock buttons alternately several times

Alternative Method

Procedure

1. Lock car by using key in lock
2. Move out of range and press button on fob for 5 secs.
3. Unlock car door with key but do not open door
4. Standing near the vehicle, press the dotted button 4 times very quickly, the door should lock
5. Then press the unlock button and door should unlock.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I dont think it will do those things...I read that you cant reprogram keys...

what is the delphi?
Delphi is another scanner - thread on the forum. It will read all the codes, do the brake bleed thing. Wont' program anything though. cost about $50

Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
If anyone wants a diagnostic tester to do all of this for a Land Rover, they will definitely need to purchase a Nanocom Evolution and not a Foxwell or any other cheap tester.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-22-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

... If I read the foxwell website correctly, they upgrade by way of serial numbers so if the scanner is fake and if it has a fake serial you wont be able to upgrade.
It is correct that you need to have a legit Foxwell serial number to update the scanner and to add other make of car to it via a USB stick and a micro SD flash card inserted into a PC computer. I tried it on a Mac to update and couldn’t get it to work.

I think I'm going to buy one to try it and if I get any tom foolery I will just send it back and claim deception. I would like a good scanner as I have an audi and a saab. I could buy the addons and be ahead.
I’ve got the older(?) Foxwell NT510 with Land Rover/Jaguar diagnostics that came with it. I later bought the BMW/Mini/Rolls Royce diagnostics add on for $60 from the Foxwell website for my wife’s X5. It works pretty good though I couldn’t get it to pair up an additional Discovery 2 key fob.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JUKE179r

It is correct that you need to have a legit Foxwell serial number to update the scanner and to add other make of car to it via a USB stick and a micro SD flash card inserted into a PC computer. I tried it on a Mac to update and couldn’t get it to work.

I’ve got the older(?) Foxwell NT510 with Land Rover/Jaguar diagnostics that came with it. I later bought the BMW/Mini/Rolls Royce diagnostics add on for $60 from the Foxwell website for my wife’s X5. It works pretty good though I couldn’t get it to pair up an additional Discovery 2 key fob.
we used the instructions above to pair 2 new fobs to our truck...that's why I asked if the above didnt work because it worked for me.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JUKE179r

at $500+ they will have to lower the price some in order for them to sell I think.

Quick Reply: Let's talk OBD