Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly do you ask for? "front driveshaft rebuild"? Is this an easy DIY?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mx52star
i have a 1999 d2 and there is a bunch off places to go muding and trails in ****. I think i am going to do a 2 inch ome and 32x11.50x16 bfg km2 do u really need to regear and beef up the diffs everyone on here said to just get a front drive shalf that is greaseable. Then ur good to go.
Come down to okeechobee and lets go to corbett after you get your lift and tires

That 2" OME with the KM2s is going to be a great set up. And no you do not need to regear. I am on 33s and I still have stock gears. Yes I would like new gears but its fine. No big deal. Just a little slower on the highway.

Check out www.floridalandroverclub.com and come to the Fall rally.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Overlanding

Alright it will be like 3 months or so but i love to go 4 wheelin some where else than the groves and powerlines

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

At 16 you probably really need to spend more time behind the wheel of a stock vehicle before making such modifications. Some decent tread tires and experience behind the wheel for at least a year.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Overlanding

I have been driving a gmc denali xl lifted for the past year so ill be fine but ur not the first person that has said that

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

firstly a denali is not and never even gonna be a real trail rig.

i have on trails and mountains in anything from my old 79 K5 to my rubicon and now my discovery,,,,

my stock discovery is far and away the best off road vehicle i have owned. fording streams and rivers and snow runoff. trailing in snow and ice covered trails. now my rover could benefit from a minor lift and a more aggressive tire then the Falkens that are on it, but so far i have been as far and as deep into the junk as i ever did in my rubi and as far as people and friends with heavily modified 4runners, jeeps, and S10 blazers. the only vehicle i have encountered when trailing more capable then my stock rover was a modified defender 90,,,

wanting a badass looking rig is cool,,, but think about the money spent vs. the actual use and necessity of the parts added. i would do a full service first. then add a aggressive set of tires. then go out and learn your rig before you start tossing a couple thousand bucks into it that you might not really need.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Overlanding

i know a denali isn't even close to a d2 but i was trying to say i can drive a lifted vehicle it will be easy for me and my d2 is in the shop right now getting a complete service and check up and then i am going to have the front drive shaft rebuilt with greaseable compents

Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Winching

i know a denali isn't even close to a d2 but i was trying to say i can drive a lifted vehicle it will be easy for me and my d2 is in the shop right now getting a complete service and check up and then i am going to have the front drive shaft rebuilt with greaseable compents
Sounds like you're on your way.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok then i misunderstood. lifted vehicles are not tough to drive,,, just tip easier hahaha

your on the right path young one =)

im sure most of us here including me were spending loads of our hard earned cash on crap we didnt need for our vehicles when we were younger. i dont even like to think of the money i know i spend,,,, makes me wanna puke.

when i was buying my discovery i had this vision of a D90 killer that i wanted to build. then i trailed it and took it deep into the snow and mountains and found the only thing i really needed was a better set of tires in the snow. a winch would be cool, but since i wheel alone alot i have learned the snow pack and when i can and should not drive in the stuff and how deep is too deep. other then that the only tools i carry when i go deep are a shovel and a high lift set up for winching and 100 feet of strap.

you should see peoples faces when i hit the tops of some of the cascade trails in winter in my stock discovery on street tires and they are talking about the issues they had in their modified rigs with lifts and huge tires and loud exhausts. its pretty funny.

just know that your disco as it sits is better off then 90% of anything out there for off road service.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Overlanding

my dad does want me to lift it but i want to cause it looks good and i know discovery are monsters offroad but i want to have a lil more clearance cause all the places i go have been rutted out by my buddies with 40's. But yeah a good pair of mud terrains and a discovery will go about any where

Quick Reply: lift questions