Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

OEM spring are black but the should have colored stripes on the as well, the stripes are used on the assembly line so they know which spring to throw in quickly.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info this is what I found out this morning.

Alright so I went out this morning and did the measurement test. It was 33 1/4 inches from ground to bottom of the fender flare. I also looked at the springs....they are are black but looks like the whole chassis was painted not long ago. So I am at a lost. It looks like I could go to a 265/75/16 tire.

Would somebody that has 265/75/16's measure from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare and from the side to the fender flare to see how much clearance you have. I meant to do that on mine before I left for work.

I have included a pic of the front and rear coil spring if that helps.

Front
Name:  frontspring.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  97.4 KB

Rear
Name:  rearspring.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  45.0 KB

measurement
Name:  measurement.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  74.0 KB

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, stock height w/ 265-75-16's: 3" top of tire to flare, 1" front of front tire to bumper cover.

BUT, NOTE, I have no airdam on the front. The rear i didn't even bother with 'cause there is all the room in the world back there.

Attached Thumbnails Lift Questions..-dsc00589.jpg   Lift Questions..-dsc00590.jpg   Lift Questions..-dsc00591.jpg   Lift Questions..-dsc00592.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

really its just a matter of measuring what you already have. the problem comes not with top height, but front to rear clearance with the front wheels. i have 285/75r16's in on a 3" lift, and i probably could have FIT them on stock height, BUT any body roll would make contact. the lift just buys back the room for the body to ride the suspension. i just about had to remove the front wheel well guards to make it steerable, as you turn the front wheels spin out and would contact them. i also trimmed a bit on the corner and side pieces, just as a precaution. theres no rub, but if i turn over say a curb or pothole, it might catch. if you are offroading, on the safe side i would trim alot more. basically what you have to do is take your stock measurements while sitting flat and level, and prop the car up in a bunch of situations that you might normally encounter and see how much the measurements will drop. ie. drive 1 wheel up on a curb, drive two wheels up on a curb, turn the wheels full, then drive up on things. if you go off road,find a good berm or side to drive on or over, hills, holes etc, part and measure, then you know exactly how much room you will have to play with. i do all street driving until i get some lockers and underbody protection, and ill probably end up shaving off more. the biggest issue is that reguardless, to be SAFE you will walk out your steering stops. i have mine out a good inch or so to keep the front wheels from hitting the radius arms, and i went and backed em out even more to give me a good half inch of saftey room. id hate to be doing 80mph on the highway and have to swerve to avoid something, only to flip my truck because the front wheels catch. with a street tire without aggressive treads you might not need such a big a gap, but steering was def. affected, normal driving is fine, but parallel parking is out of the question, and i woudlnt take this to new york city if i could avoid it!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, with KENKs' info sounds like the previous owner didnt put a lift on it just bigger tires. So it looks like when i need some new rubber I will just go with 265/75/16's. Until i get a lift, and all the other goodies. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by divkat
Thanks for all the info guys, with KENKs' info sounds like the previous owner didnt put a lift on it just bigger tires. So it looks like when i need some new rubber I will just go with 265/75/16's. Until i get a lift, and all the other goodies. Thanks again
If you have 113k on the Supension now it is probably toast anyways. you might want to budget for suspension & tires at the same time. My Truck looked goofy after I installed the lift while my tires were on order.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had Firestone destination M/T 265/75/16's with no rubbing issues at all on my stock suspension. they had about 90% tread left but were cupped really bad and were very loud so I bought some treadwright guard dog 265/75/16 which are 32" ( they are slightly taller than a regular tire since they are retreads) they rubbed when hitting bumps with one tire like when pulling into the gas station a little too fast. I would just go with a terrafirma 2" kit and some 265/75/16's and call it a day. That setup will get you through most anything unless you are a hard core offroad enthusiast. People always ask me why I don't have a 6" lift and 34" tires and I tell them I don't need it. Most times I am the only one that can make it or have to rescue all those fords and chevys lifted with big tires because they are always spinning one front tire and one back tire. And all I have is Traction control, without a Center diff lock. I try to watch where I go but it still amazes me whare these things will go bone stock with traction control. When I had my stock 255/55 18's with general grabber uhp directional summer perfomrance tires I was still the only vehicle that could make through a bad lease road to our rig, and two of the other guys had lifted half ton pickups with mud tires and I had to drag them through because they couldn't make it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Those look like stock coil springs with the painted colored strips on them.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Those pictures are of a stock suspension and if you try to run 265's on that truck, you will cut up the side walls as well as tear up some metal when going thru dips or tight turns. "DFON'T" do it.
Just so you know, I run nearly a 3" OME lift, 751 front coils and 762 rears with D1 spring plates, all 4 of my corners measure between 36.35" to 36.5"s.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i didnt see the pics... u only have 2 inchs on stock tires? youll need springs at the least.

not completely relevant but maybe check out my pics

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ck-pics-45983/

Quick Reply: Lift Questions..