Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift time! questions re: SLS

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift time! questions re: SLS

So I bought a 2 inch lift from lucky8, front springs, all shocks, steering stabilizer, SLS spacers....

I plan on running 265/65 18 All Terrain tires on it. Question is: with the SLS, seems like sometimes when the car is lowered back onto the ground after being jacked up on the frame, the air bags are deflated and the car rests on the bump stops. What happens when I put these oversized tires in there?

Is there a "lift" or spacer I should be adding to the bump stops?

When the bags developed leaks the stock sized tires would not rub in the wheel wells. The truck would pump the bags up after moving a short distance. I replaced the bags with Arnott bags and one would (fingers crossed) hope that I never have this happen again. BUT, I drive a Land Rover, and know better.....So, should this happen, I do not wish to be sitting in the road (or on a trail) trying to figure out how to get enough space between the tires and fender wells to at least move the truck.

Thanks, David

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I ran my D2 for years on the SLS with 2" spacers and had no problem, I have since changed to rear coils and wish I hadn't.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Mudding

Mike,

Sorry, I think I understand: you sound like the tires will fit with the system deflated?

So, if I go to the larger tires, with the bags deflated, will the larger tires still fit in the wheel wells with the truck sitting on the stock bump stops?

Reason I really ask, is when this truck is taken off its wheels and supported by the frame on jack stands it seems the SLS system defaults to deflated. This could pose a problem when the shop puts these new oversized tires on.

I was surprised when you went away from the SLS system. Hope you can still revert back.

Last edited by NW_rockhound; 09-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I ran my D2 for years on the SLS with 2" spacers and had no problem, I have since changed to rear coils and wish I hadn't.
Sorry, have not heard more on this to confirm.

No spacers on the bump stops with SLS lift and oversized tires - you have not had clearance issues when the tires are stuffed up in the wells (suspension sitting on the bumpstops)?????

I did not feel I got a clear answer on this yet.

Thanks, David

Old 10-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Mudding

Ok, lift installed. Truck looks awesome! A couple things I didn't take into account for a 2 inch lift. 1) with the front suspension unloaded, the driveshaft is sitting on the cross member. 2) with the front and rear suspension unloaded, all the brake lines are pulled way too tight. So are the ABS wires, but the mounting tabs could be bent to accommodate these. Not sure why these (+2 brake lines and spacers for the cross member) were not suggested when I ordered the suspension lift over the phone with someone who should have known better.....

But, I have a new fondness for the truck. It looks like an SUV should! Next, tires...they are on backorder.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they make spacer for the cross member and the ABS sensors extentions

Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

abs lines can just be pulled from there frame holster. that should be enough slack.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You should plan on replacing all 6 of the rubber brake hose, as for the ABS lines, you can reroute them so they can handle up to a 3" lift.
As already mentioned there are spacers to handle that front cross member.
Have you already rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You should plan on replacing all 6 of the rubber brake hose, as for the ABS lines, you can reroute them so they can handle up to a 3" lift.
As already mentioned there are spacers to handle that front cross member.
Have you already rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft?
I rebuilt the front drive shaft like 5 years ago, keeping it well lubricated. Still thinking in the next year of getting a TW shaft.

So there is now 6 lines that should be replaced, not just the 4? I guess I was just somewhat surprised to have brake line and cross member issues with the 2 inch lift. I have looked at several forums where people have discussed such a lift and these issues don't seem to come up until you go to 3 inches or higher. The guy selling the lift on the phone when I ordered this did not suggest such parts. Just a note to anyone installing a 2 inch lift, these are needed.

I do see a good point in replacing the rubber brake lines as with age and abuse (being in whatever the wheels throw at them.) My D2 is going on 15 years old, these hoses are due for replacement I guess. The cross member spacer seems counter productive to the lift in my opinion. Since this is the lowest part between the axles, the lift was to get such parts further off the ground. 2 inch lift and a 1 inch spacer. Too bad there is no way to remove the member or flip it.

Ya. I know. I'm crazy. Just don't like telling the wife that I am spending more dough on this lift. Oh, well. Just another crazy Rover owner who did not buy a Rover to keep a savings account.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

If you don't want to buy new lines then take out the 1" spacers and call it good.

Everything I've read suggests a 3" lift will need all these extra mods.

All those things are not needed on a two inch lift.

You did a 3" lift.

Quick Reply: Lift time! questions re: SLS