Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting 2" with SLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifting 2" with SLS

I installed a TerraFirma 2" lift today on my 2001 Disco with SLS.

Before:

Used MD Springs up front (installation uneventful) and SLS Spacers in the rear (much to report). Used TF118, TF119 shocks.

For the benefit of anyone else going this route:

Front - this procedure is covered in many places. What worked for me:

Disconnected the front swaybar on both sides. Only one side needed to get the axle to drop, but you have better clearance to install the spring with the link set aside.

Removed the shock towers (replaced with some much better condition ones) and installed the shock in the tower, the spring on the truck and then dropped the tower and shock back into the vehicle. This required installing the lower spring perch bolts and then removing them once the spring was seated to bolt down the lower shock - easy.

Driver's side spring went in fine using the factory bottle jack to move the axle down to get enough clearance.

Passenger side spring did not install without using a pair of spring compressors to reduce the spring length. A better solution would have been to remove the front driveshaft from the differential housing, but I found the bolts on my driveshaft to be _very_ tight and I did not want to deal with that on jackstands.

Brake line and ABS sensor length was a non-issue, stock was fine.

Rear:

Deactivate SLS - I left the hood open during the entire operation and pulled the relay for the compressor (relay box under hood) for good measure. If I had my radio code, I would have just pulled the ground strap on the battery...

You need to deflate the airbags. I choose to do this from the compressor side, by slightly loosening the air line connections on the distribution block. One turn was enough to slowly deflate the bags. Loosen the two outer hoses, the center hose is for the pressure reservoir. Others disconnect at the top of the airbag, but that requires some small wrench work in a very dirty place (not great for air fittings).

I found the bolts provided to mount the TerraFirma spacers (allen oval head screws) were too small to fit into the factory axle SLS support holes, so I tapped the holes (8x1.5mm) and installed the screws into the holes, using the provided locking nuts as a backup on the exposed threads under the support.

I had one height sensor where the metal sleeve in the lower sensor arm turned to “dust” and I had to replace with a hastily fabricated plastic part (made from the body of a thin dry erase marker and some time on the drill press). The sensor extension bolts provided are a bit short, they only just engage into the locking nuts – so you (like me) might want to get some longer (M6) bolts there.

Brake line length IS an issue during the install - don't drop the axle too far! It is easy to put tension on these.

After all was back together, the SLS would not inflate the bags. Turns out that Murphy chose that moment to fail the fusible link for the compressor (under hood relay panel). Once I replaced the link, the bags still did not inflate and the compressor did not run – even with the hood down and all doors closed. I had to drive the car a few feet, and suddenly all started working again.

My height adjustment seems fine for now, I’ll monitor for “spring settling” that might require slotting the sensor extension plates and fine turning.

Last edited by CBRacerX; 01-20-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added images
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting ready to do this to my 2000 with SLS and ACE.

Trying to decide between the TerraFirma and the OME lift.

I'd be interested in why you chose the TerraFirma and what your total cost was, if you don't mind sharing...

If you took before and after pics, it would be awesome if you would post those...

Last edited by TripleThreat; 01-20-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Getting ready to do this to my 2000 with SLS and ACE.

Trying to decide between the TerraFirma and the OME lift.

I'd be interested in why you chose the TerraFirma and what your total cost was, if you don't mind sharing...

If you took before and after pics, it would be awesome if you would post those...
I chose based on cost and the amount of lift (I only wanted 2-3")

Total cost was about $475 (Shocks, Springs, Spacers, Replacement Towers)

Here is before:

And After:

Old 01-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the quick reply... Looks great. My 2000 is the same color. Hope to have mine lifted and new shocks and tires installed within the month...

It's way overdue for some suspension love...

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my terrafirma lift, it's a great ride in my opinion. I just out mine on as well a few days ago

Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Mudding

As a follow up, I now have several hundred miles on the lift - I'm very happy. Ride quality is excellent and the ability to soak up large bumps is nice!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same setup except I installed the +2" shocks (TF127 & TF128). I am very happy with the ride qualify.
I was able to do the install without disconnecting the swaybar (maybe because I have ACE).
Is terrafirma changing their shocks? Mine have metal on the top vs. the rubber boot on the photo above (like the D2 steering damper).

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling

I believe that TerraFirma has two different shock options. One with a metal tube and an upgraded version with the Synthetic tube.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome (and timely!) write-up, thanks! This is the exact kit I'm looking to put on my '99 next weekend or so.

Where did you get your TF stuff from if you don't mind me asking? The cheapest I've found so far was ~$510 without shipping.

Also, to clarify.. do you think if the front driveshaft had been removed, you'd have enough clearance to install the springs without a spring compressor? Have you had any issues with it hitting the crossmember since the install? I suppose it would take some rather extreme angles offroad to achieve this with everything installed again.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Smile

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Awesome (and timely!) write-up, thanks! This is the exact kit I'm looking to put on my '99 next weekend or so.

Where did you get your TF stuff from if you don't mind me asking? The cheapest I've found so far was ~$510 without shipping.

Also, to clarify.. do you think if the front driveshaft had been removed, you'd have enough clearance to install the springs without a spring compressor? Have you had any issues with it hitting the crossmember since the install? I suppose it would take some rather extreme angles offroad to achieve this with everything installed again.
Glad sharing is helping

I got my parts from Lucky8 and Atlantic British. I did take advantage of a sale price on the shocks...

If the front driveshaft had been removed there would have been no need to use a spring compressor. I have not had any issues with the front driveshaft contacting the crossmember, but I have not been doing any off road driving. Just on the road with snow, snow, snow!

Last edited by CBRacerX; 03-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Lifting 2" with SLS