Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights on the roof, no roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is my current setup...not a whole lot of bumper room for mounting lights down below. I know an upgrade over the stock Rover lights will help, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Rock lights are a little more hardcore than what I'm going for. I'm not going to be doing anything too hardcore at night. Just want to be able to light up back roads (even though it's illegal) and and trails at night

....and I won't lie, like the look of the lights on the roof

Attached Thumbnails Lights on the roof, no roof rack-front.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something else i came across while looking for disco stuff

http://greenrovers.com/green/?page_id=213

Attached Thumbnails Lights on the roof, no roof rack-light1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all,
I know this is an older post but I was just checking out some bumpers and ran across it. I'm a friend of the guy that made this, well, I haven't seen him in a while but used to help him make these. It's a pretty simple piece. If anyone wants one, let me know, I can make one pretty quick. If you haven't done one yourself, I do bumpers and stuff on the side etc...just e-mail me, discodefender at gmail.com. My truck is on the cover of the Rovers North catalog this quarter (look at the front bumper and winch mount) if you want to see what I do. It's all pretty extreme. Minimalist and functional. But this light bar...If you like it, is not something that doesn't has to be a thing of fiction....

Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Winching

I would consider mounting them on the A-pillar, keeps em high enough to shine down without the problem of being up too high like Mike said. Best of both worlds plus you can easily adjust them for the angle you want on the fly. And there shouldn't be too much of a problem with shine on the hood since you have blackout. Just my $.02

Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I would consider mounting them on the A-pillar, keeps em high enough to shine down without the problem of being up too high like Mike said. Best of both worlds plus you can easily adjust them for the angle you want on the fly. And there shouldn't be too much of a problem with shine on the hood since you have blackout. Just my $.02
I thought about that, I saw an FJ Cruiser where a guy did dual spotlights (police car style) on his A-pillars, it was pretty sweet.

...on another note, I ended up finding a great deal on a roof rack so now I'm just searching for the best way to mount my Hella 500's and cheapo 100W safari lights to the rack, then wire them up.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Winching

Yeah that was my bad for not paying attention to the date on the post. lol. I kept looking at this and thinking "doesn't he have a roof rack?" "I could have swore I have seen a roof rack on his rig" lol. Guess I know why now.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Yeah that was my bad for not paying attention to the date on the post. lol. I kept looking at this and thinking "doesn't he have a roof rack?" "I could have swore I have seen a roof rack on his rig" lol. Guess I know why now.
No sweat...here's some pics of that FJ I was talking about (hopefully I don't get kicked off this site for posting Toyota pics)....Frikin sweet.

Name:  Spotlight67.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  70.1 KB
Name:  Spotlight11.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  Spotlight75.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  81.4 KB

Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Winching

That's what I plan to do to my jeep and my disco. I like the look too man.