Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help - blower/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I pulled the blower transistor. Ugh.

Theyre not cheap and when Ill most likely need a new compressor or something else for the system.

I'm inclined to replace the transistor...like in this post:

Blower resistor...do I fix it, - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
That's the one. What a cluster. When you figure this out you will be the go to guy for that problem, for sure.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm inclined to replace the transistor
Not likely to fix your issue.

Part you want to buy is there to reduce blower speed. When disconnected and out of system your blower should run full tilt unless other issues prevent.

Blower your bucks but expect no increased breeze.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

number 9 number 9

before i cut up the system and before the fan totallly failed it worked only on high. if its not the connectors or fuse then maybe its that rusted out transistor.

think i'll hardwire until i get to the root of it.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
Not likely to fix your issue.

Part you want to buy is there to reduce blower speed. When disconnected and out of system your blower should run full tilt unless other issues prevent.

Blower your bucks but expect no increased breeze.
Then I may have put the OP on a bad path just trying to be helpful.

I understood that the transistor compounded amperage, not regulated voltage. When I metered my blower the voltage did change between 3.7 and 9.7. But I don't know how to test amperage. Sorry, OP. I was just lucky when I put my Pontiac blower in.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench

All good Charlie. We're messing around in the dark here a little.

Voltage looks good. Battery to engine fuse box. Still looks good engine fuse box to drivers side fuse box. Looks good thru bypass hack and on to fan. Doesn't work. Must be that amp thing so I guess I'm checking the engine fuse box connections or doing that bypass to the drivers side fuse box? arghhhhh. If I was Xhibit I'd get all new stuff..or a great sound system.

So then I decided that I should get the blower working at least temporarily (to get some air and figure out the rest of the HVAC system) so I ran a pair of wires from the battery to the drivers area and jumped it to the fan. It blows, makes a turbo noise but it's not impressive.

But worse, it goes on as soon as I connect it, even when the engine is off. So I need to tap power somewhere, maybe after the fusebox?

I'm wiring the connection from the battery so that I could use it in the future for something. Maybe a winch? I went thru the firewall and tucked it neatly.

Pics to follow.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench

The numbers signify 1) connector removal and splice, I ran the fan ground temporarily to this black wire 2) hot cable coming from battery (w/ fuse) connecting to fan and 3) ground of fan. There should be a 4 there to show original fan power and ground slightly below and to the left of the 3.

I wired the hot and ground from in front of the fusebox around the engine to the drivers side and thru the wiring hole in the firewall. Came out behind the pedals. Easy. I ran it to the drivers right side for testing. Wired the fan ground to another ground in that wire cluster and it works. Makes a lot of good fan noise but I'm not impressed on power. It'll do for now.

So power is hot all the time...I need to find another hook up spot after the fusebox? or use an on off switch I guess.

I'd like to put the power to an existing switch or new one on the surround. When I get my AC system sorted I can use the power for something else. This truck wont get winch or lighting accessories...nor a fridge, tho.

As for getting the electrics sorted, I think it must be an amperage issue. I can track the 13v from the engine to the original fan power but it wont operate the fan. I need to address this as it probably affects wipers as well. There's also the chance I messed up the wiring but I'm hoping I didn't.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-26-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Camel Trophy

Great pictures and explanation. I hope this gets sorted. Those pictures will help others.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy

You should jump on this.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench

i did. I can use just about anything on this one.