Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little scared

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010 | 04:32 PM
|
5th Gear

Here is a summary of my thoughts:

1. I have ALWAYS wanted a Disco since the first day I saw one. I especially love the headlights on the 03/04 models
2. A few years back I had a 1978 Land Cruiser, loved the hell out of that thing but there were quite a few issues being such an old truck. I was able to handle most of the minor issues myself. Assuming there is decent manuals or instructions out there i should be able to perform a lot of the maintenance on my own.
3. I have a mechanic here in town who i really really trust. He works almost solely on German and British vehicles. He worked on our Audi wagon for many years(needless to say audis are not cheap either and seem to have a lot of electrical bugs.) He is inexpensive and honest. I asked him about the disco, he said they are solid as a rock, just seem to have more electrical issues than average vehicles and are expensive b/c I guess you have to use Land Rover parts...said there are not "knock off" for lack of better word parts out there. Problem is the LR is about 6 hours away...couldn't have him check it out unless they gave me some sort of leway as far as returning the vehicle.
4. I would be paying cash for the disco, thus eliminating my 400+ 4Runner payment. I wouldn't think that I would average more than 400/month in repairs on the disco assuming it is a "good one."
5. My 4runner has a 3" lift and 33" tires...

The only problem is this rig is located in Washington, I am in Montana. There is not a similarly equipped vehicle anywhere near where I live.

This will be a daily driver. Driving in snow and ice for an average of 6 months out of the month.

I am attaching a link to the vehicle. I can't determine whether it has a 3rd row or the exact model. Like i said above the vin is 3A824807...which is beyond the range i understand that i should stay away from.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1647219528.html

Please let me know your thoughts as far as trim level...etc...

I wouldn't drive it off the lot for anymore than upper 9's...what is a good price for the above considering the mileage?

Sorry for all the questions. Am new to the world of Land Rovers.

Thanks again guys. biggest problem would be keeping the wife out of it.

Old 03-18-2010 | 05:00 PM

i still think that is a lot of money. i would take it off his hands for $8500. My guess is it will need head gaskets and the drive shaft rebuilt. and in 10k it will need 4 o2 sensors. that is if none of this has been done already.

Old 03-18-2010 | 05:12 PM
TReK

Yeah, its def a little overprices, but it looks like its in good shape ascetically.
The side says SE, which without the "7" indicates that it does not have 3rd row seats. (Unless they added them, which is doubtful)
SE is a good trim model, it has everything you need, and sunroofs. (which I like)
I highly recommend having a mechanic look over it before you buy. I know that will be tough since you're far away, but it could be well worth it.
I had one checked over when I was buying and he found all sorts of issues that couldnt be seen on the surface.
Like Ed said, bring him down a few thousand to make it worth your while. If they wont except, you can find some 04's for that price or just a little more.

Old 03-18-2010 | 06:07 PM
TReK

i live in the seattle area,,,

washington seems to pay a premium in land rovers. a lot of you say "too high" or too expensive" but the rovers going for sale in seattle and from dealers and sellers are slightly overpriced to the rest of the country for some reason.

i know dealers at the end of 08 were asking 18k for SE7's.

i got my rig from a small lux dealer 90min north of seattle who bought it as a 1 owner lease return with 49k miles.

there is a green 02 down the road from me at a small dealer that is almost mint in condidtion. they are asking 7900 which in the US market is a tad high, but in seattle its a steal.

remember seattle has boeing and microsoft so its assumed we all have bill gates money...

Old 03-18-2010 | 06:09 PM
TReK

just clicked on the above link.

i have seen that rig.

my best friend is lookling to buy and we looked at that rig. its in nice shape but its a 03 and it was out of his price range.

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:10 PM

so go to cali and drive one back up.. they are cheap and not as rusty.

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:19 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
so go to cali and drive one back up.. they are cheap and not as rusty.
why? we all have bill gates money hahahha

but seriously my truck came from hornburg LR down in los angeles. so it was a owned by someone with money and it had a clean service history and was never abused or off road until i got it. seriously the chassis had no dirt on it at all. not even in the hard to reach areas with a pressure washer. all the little white tabs and stickers on the lines were like new. it was kinda scary.

then i proceeded to off road the **** out of it. its less beautiful and more rugged pretty

Old 03-18-2010 | 08:12 PM
Mudding

Hilltopper,
The tires were $1100 for 5 installed. The ABS modulator part was near $2500 alone. Unfortunately, the valley pan gasket, front diff, ABS modulator and right front hub assembly were done at the dealer. I had spent about $6000 the first two weeks that I got the truck after I kept taking it back to the dealer (first front diff., then valley pan gasket , then ABS modulator and hub). Plus all of the little stuff that nickle and dimes ya to death. I have since learned my lesson. I have found a shop that knows a litttle bit about Rovers but there are few in SW Ohio. The oil pump fiasco last fall was $2500 at the independent shop. And just spent about $950 on left front hub and serpentine belt installed last week. It all adds up fast.

Don't get me wrong with my bellyaching. Was just sharing my story with MTROVER. I love my truck!!!!! Just would like to go 6 mo. without spending a few 100 bucks on it! :-)

-aaron

Old 03-18-2010 | 08:38 PM
TReK

that '03 is over priced for that many miles. '04s have less problems because in general they have fewer miles than other discos.

Old 03-18-2010 | 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatfans
Hilltopper,
The tires were $1100 for 5 installed. The ABS modulator part was near $2500 alone. Unfortunately, the valley pan gasket, front diff, ABS modulator and right front hub assembly were done at the dealer. I had spent about $6000 the first two weeks that I got the truck after I kept taking it back to the dealer (first front diff., then valley pan gasket , then ABS modulator and hub). Plus all of the little stuff that nickle and dimes ya to death. I have since learned my lesson. I have found a shop that knows a litttle bit about Rovers but there are few in SW Ohio. The oil pump fiasco last fall was $2500 at the independent shop. And just spent about $950 on left front hub and serpentine belt installed last week. It all adds up fast.

Don't get me wrong with my bellyaching. Was just sharing my story with MTROVER. I love my truck!!!!! Just would like to go 6 mo. without spending a few 100 bucks on it! :-)

-aaron

i dont have the money to let other people work on my truck.... especially a dealer who charges $120 an hr in labor..

you actually bought a new ABS modulator???

you need to get the RAVE manual, a link to www.roverparts.com
and a cheap tool kit, and stay close to the forum when you have a problem.