Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

living with GHVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: living with GHVD

If you think your Rover gets bad MPG you should'nt even be thinking about driving a Expidetion. They are worse.

As far as riding a motorcycle, how many months (or wks here in MI) are you going to actually beable to ride it? If you live in Floridia or So Cal where it is warm and dry most of the year ok, but up here, 3 months at best that you can ride.
So even at 50 mpg you would have to do a lot of bike riding to save any money.
If you want one just to want one that is fine. But if you live in Alaske dont buy a motorcycle to save on gas.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't looking at the Expedition for the gas mileage I was looking to find something I liked. At this point I had not drove the Disco. All I had done was read online reviews. The only negatives I could find was the MPG and expensive to fix.

I believe I made the right choice! I am also glad that I found this forum. Looking for a good forum was one of the first things I did once I got the vehicle home and it was mine

Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Spike-I've taken that into account. Normal people would probably ride them 6-8 months out of the year here (central NJ), but I love the cold weather so I would probably ride it any day it isn't snowing. I'll still be driving my Rover through out the year though, it won't see completely stopped use.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I tell ya, you guys who ride your bikes in the cold are crazy! lol
I suppose its really no different than riding a snowmobile.
If I had a motorcycle I would kill myself. I would ride like a total idiot.

I friend of mine has a Suburban. He loves how big it is but he hates putting gas in it, and he has a 35 mile drivew to work everyday, and then another 35 miles home. He gets 10-12 mpg average. He got 14 on his way to N. Dakota for a hunting trip last year. And his truck is 2 wheel drive.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Pete I agree with you to a point.
If you are spending $200 per month in gas AND making a $200 truck payment then it would be cost effective to sell the Rover and buy a more fuel efficent car. Providing that the new car payment is $200 and you cut your gas spending in half.

The best way to do it is to drive the Rover as the second car after it is paid for. It is free to sit in the driveway,and you use the more fuel efficent car for daily driveing.

That is a good point. If it is paid off keeping it is worthwhile. If payments are being made it may be worth it to change.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I work with a guy that rides a motorcycle year round to work. In Tennessee it is really cold usually from Dec-March. He has a heated jacket and gloves. I think you would have to when it gets really cold

It is 72 here today...November 2nd

Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to ride my motorcycle as long as it was above freezing and no chance of ice. It's actually pretty nice if you have awind screen and the more gear you wear the better protected you are from roadrash anyway. There is nothing worse than 90 degree heat and leathers.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Mudding

For riding, the cold does not really bother me, but then it never really gets that cold here in Sacramento. I get a few mornings in the thirties, but no lower. Plus my RT has good wind protection, and heated grips and seat. I generally don't ride on days when it rains, so that limits me a bit in the winter. The days that suck are the summer afternoons when it's 110! I think over the course of this year I will average riding 3 days out of the 4 that I actually go in to the office. Since I have a 70 mile round trip, it saves me a lot on gas and miles on the Rover.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Mudding

Magnecor 8mm wires and Bosch +4 platinum plugs.

I had JUST (same day!) gotten my wires and plugs changed...decided to take off that night on an adventure.

I think it made a big difference in my mileage (or is it in my head?). Plus, I saw what my stock plugs looked like once they were pulled...two others were about to go. Wow.

Edited to Add:
I did a lot of research here to find out what the best plugs and wires were. THANK YOU GUYS! I figured it would be better to spend more money up front for the good materials than save money and have to change them out again in a few years, or even sooner according to some posts I've read. And I just got my driveline fixed last week for only $95 in labor (I already had the parts). My truck runs great now...though I do need an oil change this week.

I drive my Disco as my primary vehicle...plus my car payment is $229/month BUT I do so little driving because of where I am, a tank of gas lasts a month for me. Gas is dropping too...premium is $3/gallon here...when I bought my Disco it was over $4/gallon.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the payments are a bit much so it might be worth it to sell and get something else. Ive considered getting an lr3 which sounds crazy with the fuel prices... and they will probably go back up after the elections. Right now im getting about 25mpg in my "suv" if you can call it that hehe. Its been a good car but Im beginning to feel cramped in it and its starting to hurt my back.... so its time to move on and get something else. The only thing really keeping me from an lr3 is the money, of course. So I am hopping I get this new job I have been waiting for and then I'll get it.

Oh yeah, motorcycles are fun but, I would probably never drive one on my daily commute especially since most everyone is asleep on the road and can't see giant suvs as it is. I ve witnessed to many motorcyclists get creamed in front of meby dumb a$$es in the morning... so I'd rather pay cash at the pump instead of at the hospital hehe.