Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked in Rave, but not seeing the coolant drain points

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looked in Rave, but not seeing the coolant drain points

EDIT: I pulled the hose as recommended by several. Thanks all.

I've looked in the rave and been under my 2001 disco a few times now.....not seeing the coolant drain points (look like washer head bolts in the rave) they show on the block.

Can someone steer me to the drain points or should I just pull the lower radiator hose (which will make a mess in the driveway as its above a frame rail)

BC

Last edited by bcolins; 05-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there are drain plugs on each side of the block, I believe it is common practice to leave them alone. I just pulled the lower Radiator hose. This does leave some residual coolant in the block which I flushed several times.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thospb
While there are drain plugs on each side of the block, I believe it is common practice to leave them alone. I just pulled the lower Radiator hose. This does leave some residual coolant in the block which I flushed several times.
thanks. Pulled the hose, bit of a mess, but coolants out and I can move on to the intake and heads. Appreciate it.

BC

Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm wondering if this contributes to temperature problems and head gasket issues. I'm just thinking.. um.. out loud?

I had a 1989 Acura Legend that had drains on the block. Everyone I talked to said not to worry about them, just use the drain on the radiator and you'll be fine. Well, I'm kind of difficult sometimes, and the drains weren't too hard to get to. I opened the drains.. and... nothing. I removed the drain plugs completely. Nothing. I took a pocket screw driver and stuck it up in the drain hole and punched through some scale or something, and the coolant started running out... presumably with some of the buildup.

I'm inclined to try the same thing on my rover if I can get to the plugs without pulling the engine.

Any thought or experience pulling these plugs? Does any extra trash come out too?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You will need to get creative with your socket set. The plugs are square drive, so a smaller 6 point socket might work. They are way the heck up there. If you have a lift on your Rover they are easier to access. They are also at the angle of the cylinders, so you may need a wobble extention additionally. Mine were super tight. I ended up leaving them alone. If you get them loose I would put them back with red loc-Tite.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plug on the left can be reached, use a flat 10 or 11mm open wrench IIRC. The one on the right is a bitch, it is tucked up behind the engine mount and the exhaust manifold somewhere, almost impossible to get to.
I just let those plugs be and popped off all the hoses and flushed the block with a garden hose, then rinsed out with distilled water You can get most of the block drained just by removing the hoses.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As mentioned, with the right combination of tools they can be removed without too much trouble. You have to get creative though. They let out a fair amount of coolant so I plan on removing them when I do my flush soon.