Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a '00 disco 2 some frame rot....opinions?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking at a '00 disco 2 some frame rot....opinions?

I am thinking about a 2000 disco. good condition no warning lights very clean interior. only problem is this rust on the rear frame. I think its a easy repair for someone who can weld. They want 1200 for the truck. Anyone have any opinions as to if its worth it? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails looking at a '00 disco 2 some frame rot....opinions?-00discoframerust1.jpg   looking at a '00 disco 2 some frame rot....opinions?-00discoframerust2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to think about the bigger picture here.
Frozen brake calipers, Rotten steel brake lines,
anything else you can't see that was under salt water..
Before you drop the dime on this vehicle, Let it run
and drive it if you can for a fair amount of time and listen
for any unusual engine brake,driveline noises.
pull the diff fill plugs (21mm socket) and check diff oil for water
(it will be white).
Make a list of everthing the vehicle needs (including a frame) and prepare yourself an estimate.
Make an offer (or not) based on the necessary repairs.
Rovers are very repairable, like a farm tractor.
Only you can decide how deep your pockets are and how mechanically capable you are.
That being said I wouldn't offer $100.00 for it...

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Al that and a bowl of grits, what you see on the outside of the frame is not what is inside where the salt mush sat in puddles without running off. It is not a minor project. It basically have a parts truck.

Attached are shop manual pages on the frame. From the free shop manual download called the RAVE below.

Look at LAND ROVER PARTS - CHASSIS 109 REG GALVANIZ, while not for a D2, it shows how much a frame can run. Their exploded diagrames can show you what it looks like naked. Coul you buy a non-runner with blown engine, etc., and swap? Sure. But why, when there are so many out there. If you or a friend or relative who can be paid in beer is a really good welder you may be able to patch it. Maybe. But then there is all the other stuff, including electrical (connectors don't like being chemical soaked either). Might want to expand your search.

Another way to scan for Rovers in your region is to use www.statewidelist.com, which search craigslist for your state, output by city or metro area. You can do one search for Rover|Mercedes|GTO and find all of those three vehicles, in your price ranges. The "|" character is above the "\" character on the keyboard, and is sometimes called "pipe".

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D2 frame.pdf (1.00 MB, 131 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-30-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pass on it cause none of that will be an easy fix, especialy a frame replacement, that is a bad truck.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where do you live? If all you can find is rusted rovers I guess buy one and hope for the best..if you live in North America I would pass.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's the main problem... the previous owner disabled the automatic underbody corrosion constant volume application system. This is proof positive that Rovers are designed to leak for a reason. Picture number 2 shows it all the way to the cats... down where I am there is only snow once in a great while, but people play on the beach and around the salt marsh, which has very sticky brackish mud that packs under fenders, etc. Always a good idea to give the truck and the driver a bath. Driving thru water puddles on the coastal beach roads can also find salt water after storms and high tides. Now could you deal with this with a lift, a hammer to tap and find more yucky spots, a flex pipe camera to peek inside (Harbor Freight), and some welding on sister plates after rust treatment? Yep, but we need to start at maybe $500. If it was that easy the owner would have already done it. Might be a project truck for a welder. But it is no bargain for most, because for what it will take to save this one you can have your pick of others. And everything else, like brakes and diffs will be an issue. In particular the rear diff, if the vent pipe was frequently subjected to salt water intake. And I don't even want to look at the XYZ switch on the tranny.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is a Rear Quarter Chassis. I spoke to them today, about $500.00 delivered plus Duty and Installation

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-KVB100100PQTR

Old 08-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,400 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Parts truck. Buy your truck in the south or west, parts in the Northeast or Midwest.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Parts truck. Buy your truck in the south or west, parts in the Northeast or Midwest.
I think this is solid advice.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 AM
TReK
Received 758 Likes on 626 Posts

I think this one might have been taken care of after seven years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking at a '00 disco 2 some frame rot....opinions?