Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a 2000 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

CDL, center different lock? So how do I check for that? Or how is it disangaged?

Originally Posted by drowssap
i had one cap come apart I think i just grabbed the rest with needle nose pliers and unscrewed it.
someone changed out the speedometer and did not sync it with the other ecu's, also explains the mileage dropping 50K.
have'nt done it but the ebrake cable should'nt a killer.
if the tires are scuffing on slow turns, you may want to make sure the CDL is not locked.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

climb under and reach up to the front of the transmission and see if there is any linkage on the cdl stud.

Attached Thumbnails looking at a 2000 Discovery-discovery2transferbox.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling

So that is something u manually turn under the truck to lock the center diff?

climb under and reach up to the front of the transmission and see if there is any linkage on the cdl stud.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

I think I see the stud ur talking about. So do I just turn that stud with a box wrench/ Cresent wrench?

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
So that is something u manually turn under the truck to lock the center diff?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Rock Crawling

So I should try and turn it clock wise to engage the diff lock and counter clock wise for dis-engaging CDL? Just turns 90 degree? More?

I'll be looking at it and possibly buying it tonight, so if I can unlock the CDL and everything drives fine without binding at lock, then I'm set to buy it.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

The lock may be engaged/disengaged by using a 10 mm open ended spanner on the flats machined on the differential lock selector shaft.
So I should try and turn it clock wise to engage the diff lock and counter clock wise for dis-engaging CDL?
Sounds right per manual cable adjust.
Move differential lever on transfer gearbox fully forward to rotate selector shaft anti-clockwise into the non differential lock detent position.
CAUTION: Should the lever move past the detent, allow it to move back into the non differential lock detent position before adjusting the cable.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling

ok, so went to a kwik kar and there were 6 error codes, one for the evap system, and one for a knock sensor, and i should have wrote them down because i don't remember the other 4 codes that came up. also the guy said the check engine light doesn't work. so that explanes the gauge cluster change and the flashing odometer. so i didn't buy the car. it drives amazing, body and paint was excellent, but its really got like 230k miles on it rather then the advertised 180 on the gauge cluster. and it wouldn't pass state inspection the guy said too. i offered the guy $1700 and he didnt want less then $2200. so no deal tonight sadly. so search continues.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling

now that i think about it though, the guy used regular gas in it rather then high test, i suppose that could have triggered the knock sensors correct?

Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

When I bought mine, it had those codes plus a bunch more and CEL stayed on.
Bought the knock sensor from local parts house, that code gone.
Evaporative code was purge valve, Bought the hyundai purge valve, that code is gone.
misfire on 2 cylinders on passengers side bank, new plugs(no change), new 8mm Kingsborne wires(no change), new coil pack from Advance Auto 70.00(code is gone)
SAI code, checked the hose from the SAI pump to hard metal pipes and there was a tear, used the aluminum A/C ductwork tape, code gone.
Drivers side catalytic code, installed the code eliminator(basically an extension housing that moves the O2 sensor away from exhaust flow, code gone
Rich mixture on bank 1, new Bosch upstream O2's, code gone.
All monitors reset and all passed after 2 days of driving, passed inspection.
3 months have passed and still no codes.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
now that i think about it though, the guy used regular gas in it rather then high test, i suppose that could have triggered the knock sensors correct?
Bought the knock sensor from local parts house, that code gone.
ECM allows vehicle to run fine on regular fuel. Knock sensor code would be totally unrelated to fuel used and likely just a faulty sensor as mentioned.

Quick Reply: looking at a 2000 Discovery