Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a 2002 discovery2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a 2002 discovery2

hello! Let me just introduce myself. I am Jake from Arkansas. I am currently looking at a 02 model disco 2 with 80k miles on it. its one owner and the guy wants 3500 for it. the vehicle looks grand, but alas I am not familiar with land rovers in the slightest. I am a mechanic in the national guard so I do know my way around a wrench. the one hesitation i have on this vehicle is that I hear it is very expensive to maintain. If this is so, what are some common issues that I may need to look for? Thanks for your time.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jwakefield9685
hello! Let me just introduce myself. I am Jake from Arkansas. I am currently looking at a 02 model disco 2 with 80k miles on it. its one owner and the guy wants 3500 for it. the vehicle looks grand, but alas I am not familiar with land rovers in the slightest. I am a mechanic in the national guard so I do know my way around a wrench. the one hesitation i have on this vehicle is that I hear it is very expensive to maintain. If this is so, what are some common issues that I may need to look for? Thanks for your time.
They are expensive to maintain because labor costs are so high... not a factor for you.

Common issues are head gaskets from overheating and finicky ABS computers.

For instance, head gaskets can be replaced without removing the engine. The kit is less than 200 dollars. Shops charge 1800 to 2500 for the job. I am a lawyer and I could make more money doing head gasket jobs on land rovers if there was a steady supply, in my driveway; I mean it. Highway robbery.

I'm told the axles aren't super strong but since we are AWD and mine have been fine for 15 years, I don't buy that at all. The engine and drivetrain are proven designs.

Rust can be an issue. The D2 frame is lighter and thinner than the D1, defender, and range rover. I'd stay away from any serious rust on the frame. The rest of the truck won't rust.

People bemoan that our hubs have non replaceable, sealed bearings. Mine have never died and replacements are 80 dollars each. If that is a concern, though, you should look at Discovery I's.

Front driveshafts (original) a not greasable. Mine lasted 13 years. I got a greasable replacement and didn't grease it right, so the Ujoint failed. I'm an idiot. The replacement driveshaft is doing great; it is the twelve year old, sealed one I took off my parts truck.

Some people have had electronics issues. I haven't, but sometimes figuring out the oBDII codes can be hard, unless you are on this forum (so you've already solved that).

Parts are alleged to be expensive. My power steering pump and air conditioner compressor cost a TOTAL of 50 dollars shipped and taxed, and have been working great for almost three years.

I think they are great trucks. I bought an 03 from a guy who sold it to me for 900 dollars. I took several thousand dollars in parts off of it, and got rid of it. I spent a thousand on the engine and it is basically brand new, plus I got a great transmission and now have a spare engine and transmission. The other parts are all stacked up in case I need them. It had a blown head gasket. I told him he could fix it for 200 dollars in his driveway but a mechanic had quoted him 2500 so he insisted on selling it. I obliged him. You can't get many repairs at a dealership--on any car--for less than I spent on a WHOLE CAR.

I don't think there's a down side for someone with a modicum of mechanical skill and some basic tools. Plus they are different and, in my opinion, look neat. I like jeeps just like anyone, but land rovers are at least as tough and a little more exclusive.

They do drink gas and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you decide to trick it out, everything new IS more expensive... extended springs, bumpers, racks, axles, gears, seat covers. But the euro is sliding and the dollar is gaining so maybe that table will turn soon.

A lot of parts are Internet only (local shops don't have them) so if you break down there is a wait or you pay big for shipping.

The major problem with Discoveries is that they are mechanically similar to Range Rovers, so the same shops work on both. That means the prices for parts and labor from shops is sky high.

Good luck!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-13-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Charlie_V:
Wow! that was a pretty comprehensive explanation - well done. I just wanted to add that buying a good OBD2 reader like a Hawkeye or Nanocom is also advisable.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplik
Charlie_V:
Wow! that was a pretty comprehensive explanation - well done. I just wanted to add that buying a good OBD2 reader like a Hawkeye or Nanocom is also advisable.
For sure. I have a cheapie one that reads and clears codes... ACCUTRON or something like that. It is literally ALWAYS plugged in.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You can get 16 MPG with premium gasoline on a flat highway if you drive exactly 60 MPH.

At least my 2001 did that.