Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for 2003 Land Rover Disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 2003 Land Rover Disco

I am 23 years old & need a second car / DD. My other car is a volvo (laugh away haha) but it has a lot of my time and money invested & would prefer to keep it as a good weather driver / low miles / baby condition like usual. I race it but i dont enjoy driving on 35 miles of road construction 1 way 5 days a week. Ive had 2 jeeps & both have failed me & my mom has had 3 & they are a crap shoot. Rather than attempt getting boned on a 3rd jeep ive decided to look into land rovers.

I have found ROVERCLASSIC . COM, I have heard of them in the past but forgot all about them, on volvospeed we have a dealer review page & i couldnt find anything similar hear so im reaching out.

I am taking out a loan to get a land rover so it has to be 2003+ & i have found a few for the 9k price range. here are the Q's

What are obvious things that stand out & say DONT BUY THIS?
If it was a lease turn in & there are no records can i call dealer for records?
Is ROVERCLASSIC a reliable place to purchase a 2003 Rover?
What is the going price for a landrover disco II S with 70k on it? KBB says 7600-8600

I am from the binghamton area & cant drive crazy far for a used vehicle but if people know of reliable & affordable places to find a rover near PA/NY please let me know.

As I am taking out a loan i cant afford to buy something that breaks down constantly or that will leave me stranded yet still have to pay off the loan. My last jeep i still have although it has been blown up since feb. I have also been stuck paying on it. I bought it in october & have been able to drive it for 3 months yet paid since october... so yes i need affordable & reliable.

Is there also anyone local to where ever ROVERCLASSIC is located that could check out a vehicle for me?

volVolberg@gmail.com is my email you can reach me there depending on how my phone likes this mobile.

I appreciate everyones input because i am looking to get one before october & have limited funds / time...

I am sorry if "i didnt search" but between google not helping & nothing through this search its hard. every time i search "roverclassic" as one word it just says Range Rover Classic with information that does me no good.

Thanks again

Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a reliable vehicle that is affordable to fix why in god's good name are you even considering a disco? Also any particular reason you want one of the worst model years (as far as fatal engine problems go?). Also you realize a DII requires premium fuel at an astounding 14mpg? I would be looking for a low mileage 2004 or 1999 DII or even a 1999 DI. Actually with what you are saying I would be looking for a used subaru.

From what you wrote my advice is run away from land rovers and never look back.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KurT5
What are obvious things that stand out & say DONT BUY THIS?
The Land Rover logo located on the hood and rear door. If you see this RUN..

And avoid 03 at all cost.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Overlanding

so steer clear of disco all together? I love the style & the capability of hauling, offroading, as well as it being a "luxury" vehicle. I can afford a landrover & the sh*tty gas but i cant afford to take out a loan & buy a vehicle that is guaranteed to break down. I guess I will try to source a 2004 Rover but what are the associated problems with them? Are they really that much better?

I want something with the ability to never have me question poor weather (NY weather + long commute) when driving to work or having to go anywhere. An SUV is ideal because of space, ability, & style. Its hard to find a quality yet semi luxurious SUV

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2: The 2003 & 2004 years had the worst engines, notorious for dying on you. These 2 years were the last that the V8 engine was used, let that be a hint.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33319
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33378

Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Overlanding

true true well i guess land rover is now outa the question sadly. Because it is a used car loan it has to be 2003+ soo seeing as 2003 range rovers arent nice looking & 2003-2004 discos are ehh according to what ive heard... that might be the end of the road back to wranglers i guess

Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not worth taking out a loan on one of these and finding yourself upside down with a broken down truck. If you can buy a broken down one and fix it up yourself then that is the only way you are not going to loose your shirt... and pants, and socks and shoes.
I bought a 2003 with a bad engine for 2K and spent about 2K on rebuilding another engine, maybe there is another 1K in maintenance repairs and I will have a good runner - I hope.

Last edited by Bundu; 08-19-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Overlanding

yea i cant really do that ive had my hip rebuilt 2.5x soo... my jeep was exploded & the whole reason i took a dive is because i wasnt about to pay someone 1200 to install a 550 motor

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KurT5
...I can afford a landrover & the sh*tty gas but i cant afford to take out a loan & buy a vehicle that is guaranteed to break down...
This is really all you needed to say. With this one statement you've confirmed that a Land Rover is probably not the right car for you.

The folks on this forum love their Rovers, and the Rover community is the most supportive group of people I've ever encountered, but in all honesty it is a love-hate relationship that most of us have with these vehicles. My DII is incredibly cool. Rovers have class that no Jeep can ever hope to stack up to, and you'll never find a stock Jeep that can do what a Rover can, but my Rover is nowhere near as reliable as a Jeep and I definitely couldn't count on it to be my daily driver. For me, that's OK. I also have rusty old Subaru, so I don't lose sleep over the Rover being out of commission for weeks on end while I come up with the cash and time to fix it. Would that be OK for you though?

As someone once told me, 'you have to look at your Rover as a hobby, not as your transportation.' If you can take this approach, then it might be OK for you, but if you meant it when you said, "...I can afford a landrover & the sh*tty gas but i cant afford to take out a loan & buy a vehicle that is guaranteed to break down...", then this isn't the right truck for you.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Winching

Yeah always pay cash on a rig like these. They are British farm trucks, plain and simple. If you can come up with 5k cash you could prob get a 1999-2001 in really good shape if you do your shopping. Regardless stay clear of the 03s. A majority of them had faulty oil pumps and the result will be a new engine if it fails.

What kind of jeeps did you guys have? I have had 3 and have never had any issues. My latest was a 95 YJ. Was a great project, the most simplistic 4x4 rig I have ever built/modded/worked on. I could order every part locally or online and assemble the entire jeep from scratch in my garage if needed, lol.

Head over to jeepforum.com. I found a 2004 unlimited TJ in Charleston, SC.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...ed-lj-1060347/

That would be a fun project for you.
________
Bdsm dungeon

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for 2003 Land Rover Disco