Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2004 SE7

Old 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Looking at a 2004 SE7

Apologies for the wall of text, but I like to be be somewhat thorough.

After spending a lot of time looking for a replacement for a 20 year old 300,000km Pathfinder. I have pretty much settled on a Discovery.

The particular truck is a 2004 SE 7 with 240,000km or about 150,000 miles

I aware I buying a second hand vehicle that needs regular and preventive maintenance but I am a little obsessive that way, even on my Pathfinder. It got regular service, fluid changes etc. I travel solo, so a well a well maintained vehicle is a must.

Usage it is a second vehicle that is mostly parked, or sort trips on pavement. Numerous day trips down FSR's and a yearly trip or 2 covering a 1000 to 1500 Km of mostly FSR travel - if it fits I am going there sort of thing, fishing, photography and general exploring.

It is Pacific NW truck, looks good as far a rust goes, maintenance records may not be available, dealer is checking if he has them. No issues apparent on the test drive other than a bit of a mushy brake pedal. Truck stops fine.

Exhaust is a little loud for my taste, at the rear while outside. But not noticeable inside, while idling or driving or up front when outside.

Transmission seems fine as far shifting goes.

No codes, all switches etc work only flaws internally are a failed front sun roof, rear is fine. And some headliner issues, across the rear of the front seats and slightly to over the passenger door.

Key is a little sticking once and a while getting out of the ignition.

After pretty exhaustive reading my major concern is the head gaskets, I noticed no significant oil or coolant leaking issues. Temps via Bluetooth ODBC are normal from my reading. Oil looked fine but has been changed by the dealer, filler cap was normal, no odd smells post road test, AF is green and not dis-coloured.

I have 3 questions

Is having a pre-purchase compression and cooling system pressure test of any value beyond knowing everything appears ok at that point ?

And I have read about potential issues with the factory bolts, is it worth proactively replacing them with studs - assuming it can be done without replacing the head gaskets.

Finally where do you find 16 inch rims, I have a excellent set of Cooper ST/Max I want to use but they are a 16 and this truck come with 18's.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM
TReK

Well no responses - but a ton more reading so I will soon be a Land Rover owner

Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

1. Yes pre-purchase inspections are always wise
2. Factory bolts are fine, some will argue studs are better some will disagree. If you take the bolts loose you are replacing the gaskets.
3. craigslist, ebay, junkyards, forum classifieds, and Rover parts vendors like Lucky8. You either want the from DII or P38 range rover. You can go with LR3, RRS or L322 rims but you will need new lug nuts and hubcentric rings.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 PM
TReK

ArmyRover, Thanks for the reply it has been an education and my poor wife is tired of hearing about it. I have pulled the trigger on a 2004 SE7, from a small dealer, it has a rebuilt engine covered under 2 year warranty everything else checked out good.

The biggest issue was finding a set of 16 inch rims, and I have a lead on set for a decent price.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Add your location to your profile, then others will be able to help you find items...especially through craigslist...such as rims or large items that are hard to ship. I saw a set of 16 inch rims on craigslist here in Michigan the other day, I'll, check to see if they are still there.

Congrats, on the new addition. Pictures, when you get a chance. Are you going to keep it stock or build?

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 09-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:28 AM
TReK

I need to join the forums correctly facebook user currently

But Mission BC - just outside of Vancouver and pickings are slim.

As to building just a bit I travel a couple 1000 km on FSR's every year and the Pacific NW tends to be rocky and wet. So just enough for that.

2 in OME HD lift
Stainless brake lines/braking system flush that pedal is some mushy
Sliders

Some interior comfort stuff I live in my truck when I wander about, but all removable.

But hey it gets no worse range than the pathfinder looks like around 400 Km to a tank so I am ready for that

Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Richard,

Welcome to the Disco world. I live in Chilliwack. I encourage you to join the BC Roverlanders club:

The Rover-Landers of BC ? Land Rover Enthusiasts in British Columbia

Hope to see you soon at one of the club events. Let me know if you need any help with getting acquainted with your Disco.