Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at 99 discovery SE7

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 99 discovery SE7

Hi everyone,

So i had a question and needed ur guys' opinions.

I've been looking for a discovery for a few weeks now. For sure, I know I want the Series II. I found one 3 or 4 days ago 99 with 100k miles, original paint, has the 16 inch wheels crappy tires but in good condition and the guy wants 5500 talked him down to 4500. exterior is a 7 interior after some cleaning will probably be a 7 also. few dings here and there original gray paint. I had my uncle come check it out since he is more experienced, said it runs nice and smooth, but did notice some seapage near the valve cover, anyway he said, yes I think it might be a decent car. Now my uncle has a 99 which he has had for 2 years, and its totally awesome, it's a SE7 with all the bells and whistles... he works for an insurance co. so he has access to cars from auctions. Now, His disco has a salvaged title, but all that was replaced was the hood, radiator, driverside front fender... that's it... everything else is original, and seeing it and driving it, the thing is a SOLID 9. and its white, which is the color I wanted. he bought it at auction for 6200 2 years ago, and fixed it obviously, but he says he knows there is no way he's gonna get what he was looking to get for it which was 10 grand. So he said, if I want it, it's mine for 5 grand. It needs nothing, and obviously he's owned it for 2 years, so i know it's reliable. He has a co. car, and has no real use for it.

Yes, it's salvaged, but there is no frame damage (I know for a fact) and who cares I'm not looking at selling it to make money later.

is 5k fair?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

He wants too much money IMO for a salvaged title. Discoveries have bricked in value since last summer. I would pay $3500 for it. 100,000 miles is around the point where the big ticket parts start to take a dump. Has he done head gaskets, front driveshaft, suspension, brakes? If not you should expect to have to take care of these things.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

With a salvaged title there is no way it is worth $5.
Start doing some research on pricing, knowing that it has been well taken care of def warrants a higher price, but I still would not go $5000 for it.
Find out what a '99 SE7 is going for in good condition, then find out what they are going for in bad condition and then meet somewhere in the lower side of the middle.
He will find out real quick that there is nobody out there willing to pay $5000 for a 10 yr old 14mpg SUV with a salvage title.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Yah, did some research and most SE7s of that year and 2000 are going for low 6 to high 6s with clean titles and maybe 120-130k miles.

His is Def super clean, and with 90k miles, he's done the timing belt, serpentine, new battery, new tires, I mean it's ready to go, no leaks what so ever, reg. is good for a year, he'd obviously hook me up with the price so to pay less tax or none.. so, should I say 4500?

I mean, the problem is that even if there are clean SE7s for 7k out there, I just don't have 7k.. I have 4... but, well maybe I'll talk to him, see what he can do, I'm his nephew for christ sakes right??!! LOL

Thanks again guys.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

There is no timing belt, so that was not done.
If you are comfortable paying $4500 then go for it.
And remember that you MUST use premium gas.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want it badly go for it. And like Spike said there is no timing belt and a serpentine belt is $25 so that is not really a consideration. The big problems with DII's are head gaskets, brakes, driveshaft and suspension at that mileage. You are going to have to get the driveshaft rebuilt for sure and suspension if it has not been done already at that mileage. The rear air suspension can be troublesome at that mileage.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Drifting

sorry, the chain was done. It has new bags in the rear. and.. well it doesnt leak, but yeah, I don't know about the driveshaft, and gaskets...

So like, given the fact that it's super clean, but also a salvaged, what should I say 3500? torn...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Well if you are close enough to your uncle that he comes and inspects a used car for you then he should cut you one hell of a deal on his truck.
Not saying that he should give it to you but for $4000 with a salvaged title...I would not pay any more than $4000 for it.
If he sells it to a stranger he will get $4500, to family he should not be trying to make any money.
Tomorrow call your bank and tell them that you found this truck for sale and it has a salvaged title and you want to know the book value as well as the loan value.
Dont let them know it is your uncles truck, just that you found it for sale by owner and that you are interested.
Then call your insurance agent and see how much it will cost to insure this truck, and tell them that it has a salvaged title too.
Once you have all this info then decide what you want to do.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Thanks spike,

I'll do that, oh and I already called AAA my insurance would only go up 100 bucks a year. I only have liability, and it's all i need.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

The tell tale sign of what the truck is actually worth is the loan value.
The bank will not loan any more money than it is worth, even if you dont need a loan to buy it this will at least tell you what it is actually worth.

Quick Reply: looking at 99 discovery SE7