Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at 99 discovery SE7

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, I've kept looking for SE7s in mint condition.. haven't found much at all. Nothing below 7 here in the L.A. area. Yes, there are expensive to run, and pos. to maintain, but they are still selling really well around here. Only crappy ones from shady corner dealerships in the sub 5 grand range. So 4500 for his I think would be ok with me. So, in regards to the driveshaft, and the head gasket, I'm assuming that there are tell-tale signs for these 2 issues? or should I just FOR SURE do them as early as possible? As I mentioned before, there are 0 leaks with the truck.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the driveshaft doesn't have zerk fittings on the u-joints then it has not been rebuilt

Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Drifting

sorry, what are zerk fittings? and if it doesn't, I should just do it. asap?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

See that "nipple"?
That is a grease zerk, if the front driveshaft does not have them at both ends, thats at the front differential and at the transfer case then it MUST be rebuilt ASAP.
As for the headgaskets...they will start to leak, the truck will overheat and run bad.
If you overheat a LR engine, because it is a all aluminum engine, you will be buying a new engine.

If you are comfortable with paying $4500 for the truck then what are you waiting for man?!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Spike, thanks for the pic, ok, I will check for that, and if it doesn't, how much would a rebuild cost approx? Oh, and I'm assuming most shops/mechanics, will know how to rebuild that if I just walk in and say.. "hey bud, looks like I'm gonna need to rebuild my front driveshaft with a grease Zerk.. can you handle that for me?" Will they know what I'm talking about, or just look at me funny?? Lastly on this subject, what does the rebuild entail?

On the head gasket, So I should ask my uncle if he's done it recently, if he hasn't, should I just do it, or wait to see signs of seepage?

Sorry for all the questions man.. just trying to learn all this.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Here is a 99 that the guy is asking $2500. Not sure about the condition. This is in TN. Those California prices are rough.

http://www.golsn.com/listings/recrea...s/1075509.html

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Drifting

yeah, that's a series I, and I want the series II. Yeah, Honestly guys, I don't know I think these things are xtremely sought after in Cali, cuz I'm serious, U can't find them for under 6 or 7 for a clean one. Trust me, I've been looking for months.

I'm just gonna do it. I just saw it today, when I went to my uncles place. Drove it. He's ordered the airbags, and is having it installed. I asked him about the drive shaft, it doesn't seem to have the grease zerk, and as far as the head gasket, it's def no leaking..so. Why spend money on that right now huh? but I guess I could get the driveshaft done. No one responded as far as what that rebuild entails, and how much??

Thanks,

al

Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont do the head gaskets until there is a problem, if there is one.
As for the driveshaft...there are tones of posts on there about it.
Having it done by a shop will set you back ~$250, but that is much cheaper than a new transmission.
No warning before it lets loose either, you will be driving along and then you wont have any power and you will be leaving a big red trail behind you as all of your transmission fluid leaks out of the 2"x2" hole in the side of your transmission.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Drifting

WOW!!!! ****e, I will get on that asap then, and I believe I read earlier somewhere here, that the problem is that the stock driveshaft is sealed? and adding this little um.. nipple allows for lubing yes?? Am i understanding that correctly?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Oh, and does the trans. fluid have to be changed in the process of the rebuild??

Quick Reply: looking at 99 discovery SE7