Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a disco

Hello all, I found a disco 2 se7 with 168000 miles and the guy wants 5500 for it. My gut tells me this is too much but of afraid Ill miss out on a great truck if I don't buy it. The interior is immaculate aside from the heated seats not working. The transfer case has a little dip to it but other than that the drive train looks good. The usual surface rust on the frame. Nice suspension and wheels. I really want to get it for 4 grand and I feel like that is a pretty good number based on kbb, Nada and Edmunds. Any insight or thoughts would be appreciate .

Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The transfer case has a dip or the transmission. And explain "dip" please.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Mudding

The transfer case. There are drops of gear oil hanging onto the bottom of it. Its not leaking enough to leave a spot on the ground but I could see it

Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't be afraid to miss out on a great truck. To get a great Discovery II, you're looking at picking one up for something between $3500 and $5000 and then dumping another five to seven grand into it the first few years. If you think yours will be different somehow, you're kidding yourself. There's a reason that most people that keep them more than a couple years have all done the same kind of maintenance, troubleshooting, and parts replacement, and there's even more people that bail out before they get started, or after the first couple repairs burn them out.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Mudding

Well it's a solid truck. He's done the headgaskets at around 120k, upgraded both driveshafts, new leather seats and headliner. The only thing that's turning me off is the transfer case issue and my 4 grand budget. I'm hoping I can convince my wife that it's solid and it'll last as long as my 01 f250. That old girl has 304k miles and still strong.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by eskiltell
Well it's a solid truck. He's done the headgaskets at around 120k, upgraded both driveshafts, new leather seats and headliner. The only thing that's turning me off is the transfer case issue and my 4 grand budget. I'm hoping I can convince my wife that it's solid and it'll last as long as my 01 f250. That old girl has 304k miles and still strong.
You may already know this, but owning a Disco is not just buy it and drive it for the next several years. "Usually" there are regularly scheduled diva treatments. Discos crave attention. They don't like to be left alone mechanically for extended time.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Mudding

What kind of diva treatments?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by eskiltell
What kind of diva treatments?
Historically Discos just always have something needing attention. Often times minor, but enough to notice. Mainly it's the engine. Overall a Disco is a 6500 pound beast. It just has a very particular engine compartment, in my experience. I wouldn't recommend my friends and neighbors buy one, but at the same time I have an unhealthy attachment to mine. Kind of like a Kardashian. They're a lot of fun, sometimes lots of trouble, but always doing something really cool and fun- if you can afford their maintenance or do it yourself.

Last edited by jamieb; 05-07-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I wouldn't recommend my friends and neighbors buy one, but at the same time I have an unhealthy attachment to mine."

Says it all. I love my Discovery but there is always one or two or three things that need to be fixed. Don't expect to do oil changes and tire rotations for the next 100,000 miles. Buy a set of tools and get to know the parts guys here on the forum. They do great off road and the running gear makes Jeep parts look like toys. All my Jeep friends spend hundreds of dollars on goodies that the Discovery already has. Also, buy an Ultra Guage. Most of the trouble codes lights just come and go and with the UG addition you can clear them while you drive. As far as spending $3500 vs $5000, don't get caught up in saving a few bucks. Buy one from someone who has taken care of it, that will save you more money in the long run.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,295 Likes on 1,687 Posts

If a few drips hanging on the Transfer Case concerns you, then please do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy any Land Rover.

Sorr to be so blunt, but that is the least of your worries on a used Land Rover.

Be more concerned about cooling system, engine, and the ABS system and 3 amigos.

I love LR's and I'd drive any of mine anywhere no question, but I know how to properly maintain it, what to look out for, and how to fix/diagnose it. This forum is great and thanks for posting here.

The D2 you found sounds great. Few drips of 80/90w just tells me at least something is in it to drip!

For 5k you should be able to get a nice LR. I've never bought a single LR, and then dumped 5-7k into it. I just don't buy clunkers! I get mechanically sound LR's that may need a few interior/exterior trim pieces.

Take an OBDII scanner check for pending codes, and monitor engine temps/noise.