Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying this disco 2 - misfiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at buying this disco 2 - misfiring issue

Hi I'm looking at buying this Discovery and would like some input:

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II

I'll start off with that I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I have experience with replacing head gaskets and even swapping a whole engine and transmission, then figuring out how to make it work. This disco seems to be in pretty good condition and at the price would be a steal, but the #5 cylinder is misfiring and it needs a jump to start it. Given that it needs a jump to start, I would rule out something in the ignition since it should still be able to start of it was something minor. I would have to guess that it is leaking coolant into the cylinder since it has such a hard time starting. I don't know if this could be the result of overheating or if the headgasket is just something that needs a lot of replacement like some subarus. I am sure competent that I could replace this head gasket given it's a fairly simple V8 engine. Any opinions? I am currently saving for it so the purchase wouldn't be soon, just something I'm considering.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be any number of things – the description of the problem is way too vague, and I'd avoid jumping to any conclusions. You'll need to do a hands-on inspection. HG failures are very common on these trucks, though.

In a way it's a red flag that there's not a more detailed description of what's up, as you'd expect someone who's trying to sell a vehicle would go for any non-serious repair that would get the thing into operating condition. The fact that they know it's a misfire on 5 tells me they probably got it diagnosed to get fixed but discovered it would be too expensive.

Tread carefully.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Pull the plug and put your hand over it while someone cranks it,if your hand comes back wet drive away.

Originally Posted by batard
It could be any number of things – the description of the problem is way too vague, and I'd avoid jumping to any conclusions. You'll need to do a hands-on inspection. HG failures are very common on these trucks, though.

In a way it's a red flag that there's not a more detailed description of what's up, as you'd expect someone who's trying to sell a vehicle would go for any non-serious repair that would get the thing into operating condition. The fact that they know it's a misfire on 5 tells me they probably got it diagnosed to get fixed but discovered it would be too expensive.

Tread carefully.

Last edited by drowssap; 11-17-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Pull the plug and put your hand over it while someone cranks it,if your hand comes mack wet drive away.
Good suggestion. If your hand (finger tip) gets wet w/ coolant - sure sign of head gasket failure.

If it remains dry, I would investigate the plug wire feeding cylinder #5.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Doubt the owner is going to let you wrench on it. I know when I was selling a 98 D1 I had several people look at it, and while it needed engine work it ran and drove. I let a possible buyer inspect it closer only to have them take it for a test drive longer than I told them, and in the end they over heated it, said oh it needs engine work... and promptly left..... I had to take a 500.00 loss on their ignorance/abuse so any future vehicles I sell I will not tolerate any under the hood tweaking, and I'll be in passenger seat during any test drive.

It could be a bad coil, bad ignition wire, bad voltage getting to the coil pack, or indeed head gaskets. Even if it is the head gaskets it's not the end of the world as long as it wasn't over heated, and the engine hasn't mixed oil/coolant (which is easy to check) if the oil is crystal clean the owner could be covering their tail and I would be suspicious, but if the oil is normal looking, check coolant level, check for hard upper radiator hoses, and white smoke at startup.

If you find proof of bad head gaskets tell the owner and see if they'd take 1k for it.