Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a complete procedure for 2001 D2 Head Gasket replacemnt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for a complete procedure for 2001 D2 Head Gasket replacemnt.

I ordered the parts from Will Tillery yesterday, so thought I would get a head start. I've looked at the RAVE and it appears that I will have to skip around quite a bit to find procedures for all the various aspects of the job,..and doing a search here didnt find much.

Wondering if there is a beginning-to-end Head Gasket replacement procedure anywhere either in text or.....video? (that would be killer)

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 03-26-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the rave is pretty good you just have to read it closley, but the very first listing on the disco2 page is a sticky covering most of the thing people have run up again. There is also a video out there that would be helpful if you have never done anything like that before. If you cant find it you could borrow mine.Even if you have done work like this there are a few good tips on it. I just did mine on a 2000 two weekend ago. you could PM me if you wish i could tell you what was easy and what I found to be a little tricky. mostly it's just turning nut and bolts and you will need at least one good torque wrench , i used a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch but i did my timing chain at the same time so it was a bit more complicated.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
the rave is pretty good you just have to read it closley, but the very first listing on the disco2 page is a sticky covering most of the thing people have run up again. There is also a video out there that would be helpful if you have never done anything like that before. If you cant find it you could borrow mine.Even if you have done work like this there are a few good tips on it. I just did mine on a 2000 two weekend ago. you could PM me if you wish i could tell you what was easy and what I found to be a little tricky. mostly it's just turning nut and bolts and you will need at least one good torque wrench , i used a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch but i did my timing chain at the same time so it was a bit more complicated.
Yeah, I saw the sticky,....and printed it out.....but its not a procedural sort of thing.....just a lot of good tips.

Brian

Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
I ordered the parts from Will Tillery yesterday, so thought I would get a head start. I've looked at the RAVE and it appears that I will have to skip around quite a bit to find procedures for all the various aspects of the job,..and doing a search here didnt find much.

Wondering if there is a beginning-to-end Head Gasket replacement procedure anywhere either in text or.....video? (that would be killer)

Brian in Austin
RAVE is the best source, print the relevant pages in the right order in put them in plastic sleeves in a binder... works like a charm.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bundu
RAVE is the best source, print the relevant pages in the right order in put them in plastic sleeves in a binder... works like a charm.
The section I found in the RAVE (which frequently refers to other sections) is page 169-176. Doesnt seem complete to me.

Am I looking at the right section? Can someone take a look at 169-176 and confirm please.

Brian

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcolins
The section I found in the RAVE (which frequently refers to other sections) is page 169-176. Doesnt seem complete to me.

Am I looking at the right section? Can someone take a look at 169-176 and confirm please.

Brian
Yes, that is it! Pages 174-176 takes you through the valve cover gaskets as well.

What I suggest is to start the project and when you have questions, just ask. With the amount of people on this forum who have already replaced head gaskets, I assure you that all of your questions will be answered.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Land Rover In Search of the Experience Baja 1000 Range Rover. Has a very nice walkthrough video (about an hour long IRRC)of an HG change. 2 thumbs up!

Last edited by smoverstreet; 03-28-2011 at 04:20 AM.