Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicable U Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Servicable U Joint Problem

So I'm about to replace the servicable U joints that I installed ONLY 6 MONTHS AGO (yup they're already failing), and I just remembered a problem I had with the neapco u joint recommended in the link below. The problem I had was that the clips were all too small! I had to use the original clips that came with the factory u joints. I can reuse them again I guess, but if I bend one or lose one I'm screwed. Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Mudding

Meant to post these links

Link to the u joint recommended: Advance Auto Parts: Universal Joint by Neapco - Part 1-0005

Link to the rebuild "How To": https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call lucky8.com ask for the lr ujoints for it they are 16 bucks each maybe? same part num as the defender 90 joints.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I think there was a bad batch at some point as I had several like that bought all at once. Went back to Advance and swapped them out for the correct snap rings.

I've never had one fail/wear out anywhere near that soon.
Did you grease it properly before installing and again after?
The grease that comes in u-joints is only to hold the needle bearings in place and to prevent rust.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
call lucky8.com ask for the lr ujoints for it they are 16 bucks each maybe? same part num as the defender 90 joints.
Lucky8 has the good quality GKN / Hardy Spicer TVC100010
Made in U.K. - $18

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed they do... and very friendly. i called up on a whim from work from my cell and ended up ordering 3 ujoints form them after finding out the local landrover dealer wanted $124.00 EACH. ended up returning them only because I actually ended up needing to replace the entire shaft (found it brand new on ebay $350), but they were very good quality from what i saw on brief inspection. they felt solid, there were few external deviations in shape/form, the needles looked very uniform and they just "felt" more solid then the ones i looked at at autozone.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
they just "felt" more solid then the ones i looked at at autozone.
Don't buy u-joints at Autozone, they are made in China.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by antichrist
I think there was a bad batch at some point as I had several like that bought all at once. Went back to Advance and swapped them out for the correct snap rings.

I've never had one fail/wear out anywhere near that soon.
Did you grease it properly before installing and again after?
The grease that comes in u-joints is only to hold the needle bearings in place and to prevent rust.
Yea I didn't expect for them to fail either, but there's no mistaking that "whine" the bearings start to make when they're going bad! So if the snap ring problem has been fixed with the neapco u joints, is there a point to ordering from lucky 8, paying more money for them, and having to wait on them to be shipped, when advanced is right down the road?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Mudding

And yes I greased them at every oil change. I think I may have missed one, so if that's the reason they went I'll take the blame....but I wouldn't think so.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your stock ones lasted 70000 without being greased at all, missing the new ones once or twice in the last 6-months is not the cause.

Quick Reply: Servicable U Joint Problem