Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to the future... Bobbed, chopped, and trimmed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do a google image search a few nice bobbed discos on there, unfortunately i cant paste from my phone.
I personally like it when the rear door is move to just behind the rear wheel

Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

That's not bad looking, but I definitely would like the bed line to be lower, likely level with the door windows as has already been stated. Maybe I could figure out how to move the factory brake lights down.

I have seen some neat looking bobbed discos. The thing I don't like about most of them is that they shorten the window. I'd like to keep the full length rear window and shorten the metal instead. I think the shortened windows kinda look... strange. All of them where the rear door is just behind the rear wheel have to have shortened windows. I think it just makes the disco look too un-disco like if it's shortened too much. Makes it look un-proportional with the front and the height of the rear of the roof in my opinion.

Name:  22206-12.jpg
Views: 5419
Size:  54.3 KB

Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

I'm taking a lot of inspiration from this disco, but it's on 37s with portal axles so it's a little bigger build than what I'm looking to do. It's also not bobbed and there's no re-attachable roof. Full album link here.

Name:  IMG_1499.jpg
Views: 5382
Size:  126.7 KB

Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, touched up the photoshopped images some. Added tail lights, made the windows transparent and added seats to get a better idea how the cage will sit around them, changed the roof some, and added side panels back. I'm still not sure what to do about the top half of the rear door.

Name:  OXpiYsl.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  9FddtAJ.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  ag2gDJz.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  120.2 KB

I'm thinking of also adding some grab handles welded to the cage. I'll be photoshopping a little more. We'll see what I can come up with as far as cage modification goes.

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-16-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I'm taking a lot of inspiration from this disco, but it's on 37s with portal axles so it's a little bigger build than what I'm looking to do. It's also not bobbed and there's no re-attachable roof. Full album link here.

That's a nice truck.

my buddies offroad only truck reminded me of your first photoshop. It's a D1 so naturally shorter than your D2 and he doesn't have a roof or cage for the detachable roof but its a blast to drive in.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Camel Trophy

That thing looks like a blast! I'd love to see some more pictures of it if you could get some.

Changed up the cage a little more. Added some supports, put a bend instead of two pipes welded at an angle. Looks like I'm going to have to get a pipe bender from harbor freight.

I haven't used inventor in a couple years, but I may try to do a 3D rendition of just the cage for some design feedback.

Name:  07yRQi0.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  113.6 KB

Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

I recollect the sale of a bob'd Disco for sale in California. One of the nicer projects which I have seen. I recollect it was on Ebay or Criagslist. Anyone know the one which I am talking about?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know of a bobbed one, but I do know of this convertible one.

Edit: Just did a full backup of the entire listing since eBay completely deletes every completed listing after a while. Here's the link. http://imgur.com/a/CiRzd

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-16-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

i saw that Disco when it was for sale on ebay. Very nice. I'd change the rear tail lights, but thats about it.

I'll ask Jahn for some more pics of his truck. He owns the Rovin Rovers indy shop in Redmond, WA.

When i'm looking at his truck, the first thing that came to mind was that you could build an external cage for it, and use the cage bars as mounting points for a canvas top like the one on that youtube listing.

i'd want to retain my rear tire carrier but thats about it

Old 11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I definitely agree with you on the tail lights. I'd love to be able to still use the factory tails, just moved down or something.

Awesome! I appreciate it.

I think I've figured out the rear door delimma also. I believe that I can switch back and forth between the original door and the door that I already have cut down to a half door. Not an easy job, those doors are heavy and kinda tough to get lined up right, but I think once I get the hang of it it won't be too bad.

Quick Reply: Looking to the future... Bobbed, chopped, and trimmed.