Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for hope and advice for my DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for hope and advice for my DII

I am the owner of a 2004 Land Rover Discovery Series II with approximately 169,000 miles mostly highway. It is theclassic Epsom Green with beiges alpaca seats. I have been the only owner. My Rover has only been serviced by a licensed dealer for 14 years and fundamentally by the same mechanics. I have replaced practically every mechanical part with OEM parts except for the engine and the chassis. My seats, except for the driver’s side, look practically brand new and the exterior body is in excellent shape. But now I am faced with a rusting chassis that has a year maybe two left before I will probably have to make a critical decision about my Disco’s its future. In just the last year I replaced the steering column, the coolant tank, the alternator, the head gaskets, the battery, the starter, resealed the transfer case, I replaced alternator, the headliner, the rear tail lights and the list goes on. I just don’t know if I can afford a new chassis with expenses of upward $20,000 all in makes sense. But if I cannot, how can I find someone who would be committed to preserving the heritage of my Disco, if I cannot?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I had a corvette I bought blind or lack of inspection on my part. Went to get it safety and mechanic said frame was gone in both rear body mount places
he ordered quality steel and cut the bad parts out and welded in a new frame section
when they were done it was so clean you couldn't really tell it had a new 1 foot section of frame

maybe you can look into something like this

The following users liked this post:
Thronhill (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

You can also replace only the rear section which would cut the cost dramatically.

I don’t think your average mechanic does this stuff, maybe talk to welders?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I agree if its the rear section that is rotted I would check into the replacement section and have it welded in

Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Post some pics of the said rust areas. May not be as bad as you think. Or maybe it is. Lot of folks here who can get a better idea from photos and get a better idea of the scene. And no crappy flip phone verticle one’s.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:03 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Part it out. If you have a place to park it and strip it, you can lose the least by parting it out online. There's no good rationalization to keeping it when you consider what alternatives there are for the same money, at least not one that applies to you. The exception that I can think of would be exclusive to someone who wanted offroad capability for an extensive portion of the vehicle's use, and someone who does their own maintenance and repair.

For the same money you will need to spend over the next 5 years to keep it running as a daily driver, you could have a 2010 LR4 or Range Rover Sport, a 2015 Ford Explorer (by chief engineer Jim Holland, who was also a chief engineer for Land Rover; heading development of the Land Rover Range Rover L322), as well as numerous alternatives that are better on-road such as a 2015 Subaru Outback, an Audi Q5, or a 2016 Honda CR-V.

I'm not just suggesting those vehicles as alternatives to spending $20K for a new frame, which could be rectified for significantly less. But the TCO of your Discovery II over the next five years will almost certainly exceed that of any of those alternatives I suggested (the last 14 years should have you convinced) -- alternatives that are all 10 years newer vehicles with better performance, greater comfort, and improved safety. What is so compelling about the Discovery 2 that you're convinced it's worth keeping in lieu of so many alternatives besides the ones I listed?

Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Makes a Discovery Series II like no Other

First, thank you to those of you who were kind enough to respond and give me some good ideas and I will follow up and post pictures this weekend if I can figure how to do that.

I want address the last comment regarding what would make a guy like me want to spend that kind of money on a 14 year old Disco. I have owned two Disco’s and I also currently own a Range Rover L322. I have driven all of the vehicles mentioned in your thread, either as loaners, rentals or I have test driven them. None of them compare to the feeling one experiences when you are seated in the cockpit of a well tuned Discovery. The view of the road, the sure footedness going up s dirt road or down a hill. The sound it makes just when you start it up is like no other. Your ability to turn to your colleagues in the back seat, who by the way have a as good a view, if not better than the front driver and passenger, is unique to the Disco. It’s lines are classicly British along with its quirky problems. The “Character” of a Land Rover Discover Series II more than makes up for it’s deficincies in performance.

Finally, it has taken me places with friends and family all over this extraordinary country and returned me and them home safely with memories I shall never forget. I have no regrets for any its leaks, its replaced hoses, resealed transfer cases, “three amigos” or problem brake calipers. I would do it all over again, if I could. Sometimes it is not just about who accompanies you on life journeys by how you travel down that path. I have had other SUV’s like BMW and Audi, but they never compared to my Disco. I hope this explains my commitment to the Disco II and Land Rovers is general. I will keep the faith and do right by it to the end.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No cheap option unless you have a well suited man cave garage type setup at home and you do all the work yourself. Your going to spend a lot of money either way. I think I would buy another 04 and swap the parts out.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I vote for having someone patch the bad parts of the frame with new metal and new undercoating. Only the worst cases can't be fixed. From what it sounds like, after all you've invested in your truck and how much you like it, I wouldn't let it go. Another option would be to find a similar truck with a good frame and a bad engine (plenty around) from the south or west, and take all your good parts from your truck, swap them into that truck and you're back on the road. I got a truck with a bad engine and good frame and many other good parts for $500. It paid for itself immediately.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy an 04 from Arizona or Nevada. No rust on them and most likely you could get one with a bad motor for pennies.

Quick Reply: Looking for hope and advice for my DII