Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for hope and advice for my DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like Land Rover religious foolishness. My advice is not to "do right by" the vehicle, but to do yourself right. It is perfectly fair if you're not satisfied with those other vehicles mentioned. I find no fault in that. But if a Discovery II was an important part of your life experiences, then I'd suggest you look for more experiences that will cast a mass-produced consumer product with shoddy workmanship into a proper perspective. It's not charm. It's a rust-bucket money pit. There's no reason to regret problems you've encountered and obviously overcome to get to where you are now, but there's also no reason to be sentimental about the hassles and the expense. There's no reason to keep faith in a consumer product, especially one like the Discovery 2, or in a brand like Land Rover. Land Rover itself has changed owners several times before and since the '04 was produced, and it's obvious the ones who run the brand now have no faith whatsoever in the kind of product the Discovery 2 was. They've abandoned that entirely. But you're going to keep faith in it? Don't be a sentimental fool.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:59 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

$20k for a new frame!
No way!
A new galvanized frame is less than $5k, and no way does it cost $15k to swap over.
As said already, buy a $1500 frame back half and have it welded in. Or, buy a rust free non running truck, and have the frame swapped.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Mudding

This guy, who has been a "Land Rover guy" for over 35 years debunks the Land Rover myth, but you have to skip to 33:45 because the link isn't working.

Personally, I think it's a better choice to enjoy the life experiences rather than the experience of being enamored with one's vehicle. So rather than trying really hard to be enamored with a Mitsubishi or Lada Niva or whatever, just be immersed in "going" and as far as "how you travel down that path," it has more to do with your beliefs, attitudes, and how you relate to the people you're with and that you meet and less to do with what brand or product you drive.

Last edited by nathanb; 09-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
$20k for a new frame!
No way!
A new galvanized frame is less than $5k, and no way does it cost $15k to swap over.
As said already, buy a $1500 frame back half and have it welded in. Or, buy a rust free non running truck, and have the frame swapped.
This^^^^

Get the rear replacement frame section and have a welding shop do the work. Someone here just did this and it wasn't that bad, price or time wise...in my opinion.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:03 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by nathanb
This guy, who has been a "Land Rover guy" for over 35 years debunks the Land Rover myth, but you have to skip to 33:45 because the link isn't working.
https://youtu.be/EhllcFNgYXM?t=33m53s

Personally, I think it's a better choice to enjoy the life experiences rather than the experience of being enamored with one's vehicle. So rather than trying really hard to be enamored with a Mitsubishi or Lada Niva or whatever, just be immersed in "going" and as far as "how you travel down that path," it has more to do with your beliefs, attitudes, and how you relate to the people you're with and that you meet and less to do with what brand or product you drive.
Good advice, but I don't think it applies here, or this has anything to do with being concerned over what brand of vehicle you drive.
To the contrary actually, as this is now an old truck.
The OP bought it new, still likes it, and wants to fix it and keep driving it.
What's wrong with that??

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Good advice, but I don't think it applies here, or this has anything to do with being concerned over what brand of vehicle you drive.
To the contrary actually, as this is now an old truck.
The OP bought it new, still likes it, and wants to fix it and keep driving it.
What's wrong with that??
Toyota salesman maybe?

Woth that logic there would be no 1965 Mustangs on the road, or a host of old cars people see as junk, but their owners Love than and restore/maintain them.

Of course, monetarily he is correct, but it’s an emotional decision for an enthusiast.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover

Toyota salesman maybe?

Woth that logic there would be no 1965 Mustangs on the road, or a host of old cars people see as junk, but their owners Love than and restore/maintain them.

Of course, monetarily he is correct, but it’s an emotional decision for an enthusiast.
Lol! come on now, easy on Toyotas!
I've owned 3, and a Tacoma trd off road will be my next ride. Still keeping my D2 for now, I have a love/hate relationship with it.
As long as you don't spend too much in a D2(next to impossible for most of us), I really belive their prices will continue to climb. Since they are becoming more rare for a rust free, good running one that'll last.
When I get mine dependable again, I still plan on a lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, winch, skidplates, etc.
From that point, it'll take an offer too good to refuse to get rid of it(whatever that may be).

Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Mudding

I thought it applies here because the OP is obviously emotional about the Discovery II, but needlessly.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by nathanb
I thought it applies here because the OP is obviously emotional about the Discovery II, but needlessly.
In the modern world, most of us need a vehicle to get around. If you have one you like, it's paid for, and you don't want to get rid off it; it's usually smarter and cheaper to fix it and keep it.
It can be an emotional attachment without being a bad thing. Especially since it's practical to fix and keep.
As well as that regardless what anyone thinks now, D2 prices are not going to go down. Only up, low supply vs growing demand for a classic and extremely capable 4x4.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Mudding

An old Land Rover is never paid for.

I also disagree the Discovery 2 will ever be a classic, collectible or more desirable as it ages. It was a bastard lemon. Series and Defenders are proven collectibles, the Range Rover classic to a degree, but the Discovery 2 won't be any more collectible than a P38. Discovery 2 prices will follow the P38, only more slowly because the Discovery 2's are far more plentiful.

Quick Reply: Looking for hope and advice for my DII