Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4

My husband and I are considering purchasing a 2004 Discovery G4 that has 71,881 miles on it. We test drove it and I absolutely fell in love! The previous owners seem to have taken excellent care of it though we did notice a small corrosion bubble on the driver's side front door. My husband was concerned that there may be more in the undercarriage but we shall see after the inspection this week. They are asking $15,990 for it. We are hoping to approach this deal with cash and some negotiating power. What do you think would be a fair purchase price for this Discovery? We have been doing some research with mixed results. The range (from searching other similar vehicles for sale around the country) seems to be from ~ $13,000 - $17,000.

Also, during inspection, is there anything specific we should be on the lookout for? Any questions we should ask during the process?

Thanks so much for the help!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I would get the inspection done at a shop that knows Land Rovers, not just one that says they will work on them. If need be take it to a Land Rover dealer.

Depending on where you are located depends on the level of concern for rust. The Discovery II frames are known to rot out. Head gaskets are known to blow, and in the 03/04 4.6 engines a slipped sleeve or a oil pump with cracked gears are not uncommon.

Price is what your willing to pay and the market in your area will bare. I've seen them as cheap as $8k and as much as $18k.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a great shape '04 with a blown motor for $1000
Put a new Cannibal v8 engine with the known "engine Fixes" for $7000
Put a Terrafirma lift and new cool looking tires $2000

Have it Painted Orange for $3000
Buy all the G4 stickers on Ebay for $50

Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would get the inspection done at a shop that knows Land Rovers, not just one that says they will work on them. If need be take it to a Land Rover dealer.

Depending on where you are located depends on the level of concern for rust. The Discovery II frames are known to rot out. Head gaskets are known to blow, and in the 03/04 4.6 engines a slipped sleeve or a oil pump with cracked gears are not uncommon.

Price is what your willing to pay and the market in your area will bare. I've seen them as cheap as $8k and as much as $18k.
Thanks for the response, I'm Autismmom's hubby/lesser half. The car is going for inspection sometime this week - when we can get it worked into the shop.

As far as I can tell it has had two previous owners and passed through 5 dealers. For what it's worth, it does look like the previous owners have hit the recommended service intervals, although I have yet to find out if the u-joints have been rebuilt or if the head gasket has been done. As for rust issues, it appears that the first owner was in Michigan and the second was in the FL panhandle.

Last edited by Panik; 02-09-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would be very warry as to why it has been thru the auction so msny times. I can see the origial dealer who trader it sending it thru but why did the other four.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

With regards to the inspection. My concerns would lie below.

* Scan for stores engine codes.
* Scan the ABS system for codes.
* Have them pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks around the head gaskets.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Panik
As for rust issues, it appears that the first owner was in MICHIGAN and the second was in the FL panhandle.

Check it very carefully underneath for rust

Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would be very warry as to why it has been thru the auction so msny times. I can see the origial dealer who trader it sending it thru but why did the other four.

That is a very good point. Maybe this falls in the category of....No matter how many times you flush, some turds will just stick to the bowl.

Let's hope it checks out to be a good truck for the OP.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

There is a reason that the truck has been threw the auction so many times. Tbe best seniro would be the trading dealer does not sell that type of vehicle , so they bring it to the auction and sell it thats simple. But thst only account for one dealer, why did the others buy it at auction and return it to be sold at auction. Thats the real question

Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I didn't pay that much for both my LR3, combined.

I don't care what color it is, it's not worth $15,000, to me.

And I've seen a G4 sell for about $6 or $7, but it did have over 100,000 miles.... but honestly to me, the miles are only going to reflect how nice the interior is... 70,000 miles on a rover V8 is plenty of time to need all kinds of repairs, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4