Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
First question I would ask is what is meant by "New Engine". Is it a Remanufactured Engine with Top Hat Liners and other preventative issue fixes in it or is it a recently rebuilt engine that will be prone to the same issues as before.
LOL That was the first thing that I thought when Autismmom showed me the listing. Its early but if I remember correctly when I pulled the vin I got the impression that it was not a "new" in the sense of newly installed motor either. I want to say that there was mention of a rollback calculation at aroud 60K.

Originally Posted by OverRover
I don't want to say I'm "glad" this one got away, but there was just something that felt wrong with this rig. There will be more.
After looking at several junkers yesterday I agree about the G4. Listen in terms of aesthetics someone obviously loved that vehicle at one point in time. The body and the interior were impressive and it sounded pretty good during the test drive. On the other hand the frame suggested that it had lived in the salt belt for a good while - it had this nice, pretty natural red/orange shade throughout The others I looked at were complete junk and quite honestly not worth the gas spent to get to see them.

Originally Posted by USAroverman
1) Do you and/or your spouse like working on vehicles?
2) Do you and/or your spouse keep strict maintenance schedules and perform the maintenance yourself on your vehicles?
If YES to either question keep considering this Disco.
If your honest answer to either question above is NO, then ask yourself the last question:
3) Do you have deep pockets to pay a mechanic to keep it running?
1) I'm a tinkerer by nature - its what I do for relaxation and fun. While I'm not a mechanic I have no problem with the idea of climbing in, around, under and over a vehicle. Truth of the matter is while this will be Autismmom's Disco I've always wanted to have a project vehicle. As an added note, while the hope is that this will be a daily driver, we will be a three vehicle household.

2) While we're not OCD we do keep pretty solid maintenance schedules.

3) No deeper than the average person, but I've owned the old 240 and 300D Mercedes, and 240 and 940 Volvo wagons so I have some experience of what goes along with European auto repair. Thankfully while we are in a small town there are a couple of folks we know that DIY their own Disco's and Range Rovers, and there are some reputable indy shops in town for the big stuff or when I get in trouble. If nothing else the The Shop in Norcross isn't too far away and I do have the ability to trailer a vehicle.

I'm no trying to refute anyone's questions, actually I'm appreciative because they give us a way to think things through.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Last 04' I bought for $2500. Super clean, had the head gaskets done 5k miles before, entire cooling system replaced and with brand new Michelin tires.

The drivers window actuator broke and the dealer quoted $700 to replace the motor and actuator. The owner gave up and listed it for 3k. I offered $2500 and got it.

I consider that a very good deal. I live in so cal and the rovers here sell for $500-$1000 more than the east coast. Maybe it's because they don't have rust.

Anyways, don't buy a G4, you are paying for the paint color. In my jaded opinion discovery 2 will never be a collectors item

Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd buy a G4, I might even pay a premium for it.... but I wouldn't pay 3x or 4x of what a similar D2 goes for.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I'm not a fan of the color...