Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

This one has been on CL for over 2 months, less $ but still over priced.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4806246191.html

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

In case you don't want to cut and paste the link- they are asking 12k or 10.5k without the roof rack, with the OBO after.

120k miles.

Last edited by abran; 02-09-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Is this the truck? > Cars for Sale: 2004 Land Rover Discovery S in Atlanta, GA 30324: Sport Utility Details - 386422691 - AutoTrader.com

This Dealer is overpriced on most of the inventory not just this LR > THE MOTORCAR COLLECTION PRE-OWNED LUXURY & EXOTIC DEALER 404-230-1984

If this truck checks out, offer them an AUCTION PRICE because that's where this rig is heading again very soon. CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2004 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II S: SALTL19474A831259

And it looks like the Ebay auction just ended yesterday. So again, IF it checks out LOW BALL THE OFFER. > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...-/171647385259

Have a look at pic #2 this is VIN: SALTL19474A831259?? >http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57233

Last edited by OverRover; 02-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Price is crazy but G4 will get more money typically. I did pay more than market for my Trek but it was 1 of 15. G4 package looks better than normal D2 is Limited production but it is all stickers and the front bumper and the Tangiers Orange paint. Mileage is nice but it still needs to be gone through. I would be shocked if it does not need something repaired. HeadGaskets, oil pan,Steering box seals, front cover and driveline are typical for leaks. Check for any ticking sounds in motor as well as any service lights/ABS or oil lights on the dash. If this G4 is in Atlanta - please call The Shop in Norcross or Road Brittannia in Roswell for a pre purchase inspection...My opinion it is a 7800/9k max and this is on the high side comparing to other regular D2s with similar mileage. Good luck

Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your replies! It is all great information and you have brought excellent questions to the table that needed to be asked and researched.

We called this morning to set up an inspection and, apparently, someone else called and put a deposit down on the G4. My husband drove out to the Atlanta area and went to several other dealerships (not Land Rover) to look at other Discoverys. Unfortunately, we mainly struck out as all the ones he viewed had major problems. We do not mind a fixer upper for the right price but these issues went beyond what we wanted to deal with at the moment. Just for the record, we are not looking specifically for a G4. It just popped up on the radar and was worth a look. And yes, OverRover...that was the one! We never got the chance to get it looked at by the Rover dealers in the area so we are still looking!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Listing

While I am online, I found another listing for a 2004 LR Disco SE. It has not arrived on the lot yet but the listing price is $10,990. Over priced we know but we are becoming more familiar with fair price ranges for particular models and years (as well as mileage). Here is the description:

Java Black with Alpaca Beige leather and burl walnut trim, 106k miles, RESTORED, New Engine, New Tires, New Brakes, Interior Restored, 3rd Row Seating, Dual Glass Sunroofs, Harman Kardon audio system with cd changer, Heated memory seats, Automatic dual-zone climate control, All-Wheel Drive, 18" Proline alloy wheels, four-speed-automatic transmission, ABS Traction control, integrated garage door/entry gate opener, front and rear fog lights, a leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel, power windows, a rear-window wiper and washer, heated power mirrors, keyless entry with central locking, cruise control and an auto-dimming inside mirror, Four-wheel ABS brakes, Front ventilated disc brakes, Driver and passenger front-impact airbags, Seat-mounted driver and passenger side-impact airbags, the last model year of this iconic Land Rover

thoughts anyone?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please ask yourself these 3 questions:
1) Do you and/or your spouse like working on vehicles?
2) Do you and/or your spouse keep strict maintenance schedules and perform the maintenance yourself on your vehicles?
If YES to either question keep considering this Disco.
If your honest answer to either question above is NO, then ask yourself the last question:
3) Do you have deep pockets to pay a mechanic to keep it running?
If NO to the first 2 and YES to #3 then go after it with $7,500 as a starting price.
IF NO to all 3 questions run away from this vehicle. I am being a realist here - 99% of the people I know think I'm crazy to keep my Disco but to me there's nothing like the stress relief from having a hobby like keeping my 2003 Discovery going and going. But there is no way I could afford to have even an Indy work on my Disco. Best of luck in your search!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Autismmom
While I am online, I found another listing for a 2004 LR Disco SE. It has not arrived on the lot yet but the listing price is $10,990. Over priced we know but we are becoming more familiar with fair price ranges for particular models and years (as well as mileage). Here is the description:

Java Black with Alpaca Beige leather and burl walnut trim, 106k miles, RESTORED, New Engine, New Tires, New Brakes, Interior Restored, 3rd Row Seating, Dual Glass Sunroofs, Harman Kardon audio system with cd changer, Heated memory seats, Automatic dual-zone climate control, All-Wheel Drive, 18" Proline alloy wheels, four-speed-automatic transmission, ABS Traction control, integrated garage door/entry gate opener, front and rear fog lights, a leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel, power windows, a rear-window wiper and washer, heated power mirrors, keyless entry with central locking, cruise control and an auto-dimming inside mirror, Four-wheel ABS brakes, Front ventilated disc brakes, Driver and passenger front-impact airbags, Seat-mounted driver and passenger side-impact airbags, the last model year of this iconic Land Rover

thoughts anyone?
First question I would ask is what is meant by "New Engine". Is it a Remanufactured Engine with Top Hat Liners and other preventative issue fixes in it or is it a recently rebuilt engine that will be prone to the same issues as before.

I also see no other preventative upgrades mentioned on the truck, such as a oil cooler and upgraded front drive shaft.

Another weirdness is that it is a SE, but has the 3rd row seats. Was that added to the truck.

I would say that no Discovery II in GREAT condition is worth more than $4000 unless it has some real upgrades to it, but that is my opinion.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

According to the VIN : SALTW14483A772803 and the Carfax http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...TW14483A772803 this is a 2003 not a '04. DEALERS???
http://www.***-motorcars.com/incomin...ery-se123.html

" And yes, OverRover...that was the one! We never got the chance to get it looked at by the Rover dealers in the area so we are still looking! "

I don't want to say I'm "glad" this one got away, but there was just something that felt wrong with this rig. There will be more.

Last edited by OverRover; 02-10-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have patience. I kept a spreadsheet of about 80 Discovery's I found on Craigslist within 500 miles as everything local was insanely priced for what it was. I ended up with a very nice local 2004 for 3k. Patience.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 2004 Discovery G4