Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at purchasing my first Disco II just looking to have a few questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at purchasing my first Disco II just looking to have a few questions answered

Hello all, new here. Always wanted a Disco but never had an opportunity until the wife's '99 Cherokee got totaled a few weeks back by another driver. Oh well, no time like the present!

So I'm new to LR in general but not unfamiliar. I've always worked on every car we've owned and don't consider myself to be too bad of a mechanic. I've owned numerous 4wd's but now drive a '02 BMW e46. Much of the common issues with the BMW designed DII are also shared with the E46 series of the same era.

So were looking at purchasing a 03-04 DII and found a few in our area. There's one 2004 DII with 139k that looks really nice (black on black) and has had most of all the trouble points addressed. Rebuilt driveshaft, new head gaskets, new PS pump, belts, hoses, door motors and regs, all scheduled service intervals up to 125k have been completed. The three amigos are currently off but I don't think it has a new ABS module. New tires and clean inside and out. He's asking $5800 which even in this condition seems a bit much. So I have a few questions for you all here:

1) What are some other more trouble areas I need to ask about? Especially at this mileage I'd like to know what needs to be specifically addressed soon.

2) What do you think would be a fair asking price considering this condition? Obviously I know this varies with area, Im in Texas if that helps much. LR's seem to go pretty cheap here but they also don't come with a very comprehensive list of completed maintenance like this.

Anyway, I'd just appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Last edited by satxpipe; 05-30-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by satxpipe
Hello all, new here. Always wanted a Disco but never had an opportunity until the wife's '99 Cherokee got totaled a few weeks back by another driver. Oh well, no time like the present!

So I'm new to LR in general but not unfamiliar. I've always worked on every car we've owned and don't consider myself to be too bad of a mechanic. I've owned numerous 4wd's but now drive a '02 BMW e46. Much of the common issues with the BMW designed DII are also shared with the E46 series of the same era.

So were looking at purchasing a 03-04 DII and found a few in our area. There's one DII with 139k that looks really nice (black on black) and has had most of all the trouble points addressed. Rebuilt driveshaft, new head gaskets, new PS pump, belts, hoses, door motors and regs, all scheduled service intervals up to 125k have been completed. The three amigos are currently off but I don't think it has a new ABS module. New tires and clean inside and out. He's asking $5800 which even in this condition seems a bit much. So I have a few questions for you all here:

1) What are some other more trouble areas I need to ask about? Especially at this mileage I'd like to know what needs to be specifically addressed soon.

2) What do you think would be a fair asking price considering this condition? Obviously I know this varies with area, Im in Texas if that helps much. LR's seem to go pretty cheap here but they also don't come with a very comprehensive list of completed maintenance like this.

Anyway, I'd just appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
The one youre looking at is a 2004?

Old 05-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Yes sorry, I just edited my post to reflect that minor detail lol.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

$5800.00 sounds fair to me. You can buy it & instantly enjoy it and like you said a lot of things have already been addressed on it. Or you can buy one cheaper and expect to do a complete fluid change, drive shaft, tires, brakes, new thermostat, new radiator, fan clutch, battery, alternator, hoses, or even as far as head gaskets.

Highest LR I've bought lately was my 02 Kalahari for 4500.00 with 219K on it almost 2 years ago. It was very well maintained hence the 219K on it, and everything minus the cruise control & 4hi/N/4lo interlock solenoid worked perfectly. I paid the man his asking price & got exactly what I wanted a rare 1 of 150 D2's in as close to mint as you are going to find.

Lowest LR that I've bought that was perfect minus a dead alternator/battery was my 99 D2 for 1500.00 but I only got that price because I am extremely good friends with the LR Shop owner.

Being that you're new to LR's I say grab the 5800.00 one and enjoy it. Then when it needs attention fix it and go from there.

It's like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". Finding a RRC, D1, or even a D2 in great condition is starting to be like finding a needle in a haystack. Sure 1K to 3K wonders are all over the place, but 99% of them are complete garbage.

I know of a super clean black on black 03 D2 in my area for 4500.00, but if you gotta have CDL then stick with the 04.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-30-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Yup, with all said, thats a good buy. Here in our area they are selling around 3-4,000 and still needed to be fixed or no maintenance records at all. Buying something cheaper that sounds like a good deal will require more fixing at the end and might be a waste of time making it in good running condition. I got an black on black SE7 half that price but ended up spending more in the end, but it rides like new now. Only problem is that my wife ended up using it.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Thanks guys!

Old 05-31-2017, 01:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually buy them for 1500-3500 with blown head gaskets... that alone is 1600... all of the needed maintenance adds up quick. 5800 is not a bad deal for an 04... well worth it if in the condition you say it is

Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Satxpipe:

Where are you located? I am selling my 2000 D2 thats in great shape. I am in Vermont. Let me know if you are interested I can get you pics and info.

Andy

Sorry, just saw you were in Texas...

Last edited by Andy2Rover; 05-31-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Black on Black

I have a few of these D2's. The one that is Black/Black is my least favorite because it always looks dirty. Black is not a color - it is a full time job.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Black is a full time job, but I love my black on black Disco. When she's shined up she looks fiiiiiine.

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing my first Disco II just looking to have a few questions answered