Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a used motor~

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a used motor~

So i bought a 01 Disco and turns out it has a cracked block.

What are the things I need to look for when buying a used engine?

I am planning on looking for a whole car that has transmission problems or have been in an accident to find a replacement engine for my 01 Disco. I wanna spend the time doing the research so that I can get a quality engine and do most of the work myself. I called a local junk yard and they wanted $2,200 for an 01 engine with 89k miles on it with 90day warranty.

I figured if I am going to drop in a used engine, I mind as well do the head gaskets while the engine is out?

I looked at an 04 Disco with front end damage but has running running engine with 79k miles. Had couple things I can use like the wheels and relatively new tires, running boards, rear step, maybe the cats, cdl, maybe transmission, full black interior with rear jump seats, floormats and cargo mats, etc.. and of course the engine...they want $1800 for it. Of course I only NEED the engine. Also is a 4.6 vs my 4.0.

I noticed the engine was leaking from valve cover gasket, but didn't notice anything leaking from head bolts as much as I can tell. When I got there, he had the engine running..I plugged in the UltraGauge and the temps were good at 179F and no engine codes. Overall, the engine looked to be in ok condition except for the leaks.

What else should I test or look out for?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Tough to say. It would be nice to see what the oil pressure. Get a loaner test gauge from the parts store and see what it is. If you are going to go through it anyway it probably isn't worth being too concerned about. If it idles quietly and the temp is good then it is probably good enough. You should plan to do the head gaskets and pin the liners during the swap. I believe you will need to have the computer reprogramed to control the 4.6 also. For $1800, it sounds like the way to go.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Check with John Gadd aka Rover Dude, he's out in your neck of the woods and is generally parting out a few Rovers.

He has a excellent reputation among the rover community for used parts.

roverdude @ sbcglobal . net

Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Tough to say. It would be nice to see what the oil pressure. Get a loaner test gauge from the parts store and see what it is. If you are going to go through it anyway it probably isn't worth being too concerned about. If it idles quietly and the temp is good then it is probably good enough. You should plan to do the head gaskets and pin the liners during the swap. I believe you will need to have the computer reprogramed to control the 4.6 also. For $1800, it sounds like the way to go.
I thought it would just be plug and play so to speak..

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...6-4-0-a-66946/

Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Be careful of the 04' for 1800, it has a checkered carfax past. 2 rebuilt titles, first one notes not actual mileage and last carfax mileage report is above the 79 the car shows.

It looks like a good deal, but not sure you can trust the odometer. Get it up to temp and make sure there are no noises or overheating if you are going to buy it.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
Be careful of the 04' for 1800, it has a checkered carfax past. 2 rebuilt titles, first one notes not actual mileage and last carfax mileage report is above the 79 the car shows.

It looks like a good deal, but not sure you can trust the odometer. Get it up to temp and make sure there are no noises or overheating if you are going to buy it.
Thanks for the heads up.. still looking for an engine.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Baja

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4476948359.html

2k, the guy says the motor was replaced @77k miles,idiots true about 100k miles on motor. The P38a Bosch motor is the same as discovery. There is also a gold one on craigslist for 3k with a bad tranny.

I'm sure there is room to negotiate in both.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung
I thought it would just be plug and play so to speak..

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...6-4-0-a-66946/
I had read posts discussing reprogramming the ecu but had not confirmed it. Good to see it isn't an issue. Using an older 4.6 or 4.0 engine will get you a block that was cast using molds that were in better shape so you should have less chance of it cracking.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Baja

I posted before that I put a 4.0 from a 2001 D2 into a 2004 D2(with 4.6 ECU) with no problems. My mechanic says you can go the other way as well.

I had read posts discussing reprogramming the ecu but had not confirmed it. Good to see it isn't an issue. Using an older 4.6 or 4.0 engine will get you a block that was cast using molds that were in better shape so you should have less chance of it cracking.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

On a GEM's engine, you can change a setting in the computer to say 4.6 or 4.0. On a bosch engine, you'd have to reprogram the computer completely with a VIN and map from a 4.6 or a 4.0 with or without SAI, depending on which computer is installed Like everyone says, since it works fine, I'd not worry about it on a bosch engine.