Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing Coolant

Hello friends!

2004 Discover II, 56k miles.

I have a mystery up here in Michigan. My check engine light has been reporting a "#7 cylinder" for quite some time now, and after a tune up, I have put the issue on the back burner. Busy, Work, blah blah- you know the drill.

Anyway, probably two months ago, I began noticing that my coolant level was steadily dropping during the week. As it neared 1/4 reservoir full, I of course popped the lid to fill it. When I removed the cap, there was the sucking noise, and the level increased by an inch. Not as low as it was, but I topped it off anyway.

Well, the problem has been around ever since. If I only commute between my office and home, I can go a week before I have to fill it, but if I go to Grand Rapids a couple times, I need to top it off.

In two months, I've gone completely through two gallons of DexCool, and am about 1/4 into my third.

THE WEIRD THING: I don't see any leaks- I don't think it leaks...

It's burning off somewhere- My engine and the area around my engine smells strongly of burned coolant any time it's warm.

The only hint I have, is that when I first start the engine, I see smoke coming up next to the drivers side of the engine. It smells exactly like burned coolant. If I look, the smoke is coming off the exhaust manifold, low on the driver's side, right at the Oxygen sensor.

Also, there is white exhaust smoke when I first start it.

Is this a clear case of a failing head-gasket, or is it something else?

Thanks guys!

Pat

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what is the exact 4 digit error code you are getting? That is a very serious leak, i would stop driving it if you can until you can get it repaired.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Pat, stop driving it TODAY, before you seize up a piston from too much coolant in the cylinder.
You have a blown head gasket, how mechanical are you, can you do this or will you need to have a mechanic step in? General cost, $1550 for an engine with SAI plus wires and the 60K that has probably not been done yet. A dealer will hit you for around $3000 or you can do the 60K and head gaskets for around $600 in parts and some good guidance.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Winching

Disco Mike, are you 100% positive?

If so, I'll park it at my mechanic's tonight and go rent a car until he can finish the work.

How many hours of a job is it? I sure am going to miss this baby until it gets back.

Mike, as always, THANK YOU.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

#7 cylinder is the last cylinder on the drivers side. That is where the coolant passage is on the head/block. Sounds like you have an internal coolant leak from your headgasket. Pull that plug and look for coolant after it has been sitting overnight. You do not want to run an engine with water in a cylinder for a number of reasons.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Winching

Yikes- I've been running it that way for almost two months now. If it's sat all night, it idles rough for 3-5 seconds after I start it, and then it smooths out.

Made an appointment to speak with my mechanic this afternoon at 3:30. I will be dropping the Rover off there on my way home, and my wife will be taking me to rent a vehicle for a week after that.

Guys, again- THANK YOU.

I hope I didn't do any damage to my engine during the past two months.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

When you get an estimate for the job, get back to us with the parts and labor.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
TReK

Make sure they confirm you have coolant in the cylinder/oil because it sounds like you have some other issues like bad wires. You definitely have an external leak also that sounds like it is dripping down the block onto the exhaust and evaporating before it hits the ground.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

With coolant and white exhaust smoke, he has an internal issue.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
TReK

I agree but it is always good to confirm it before you spend big money on a repair.

Quick Reply: Losing Coolant