Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At a loss with a minor misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At a loss with a minor misfire

I have been trying to figure out this issue and I don't want to just throw money at it without a decent idea.

So the issue is a minor misfire, it only occurs when I am giving it barely any throttle (borderline giving it throttle and foot off throttle) giving it decent throttle or no throttle it runs great. It seems to occur more when the engine is colder, as it warms up it seems to go away/occuring much less. Vehicle speed does not matter, only throttle, not throwing any codes, sometimes a pending code pops up for EVAP leak detection pump when it first starts up (I think its P1481 from what I remember). I have changed the spark plugs, MAF sensor, and idle air control valve recently.

If anyone has a idea let me know!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have a scan tool or can find someone with a scan tool that can read real time data (cylinder misfire count). This will point you to the where the misfire is .

Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

my 04 is doing something similar. Tried 2 new sets of plugs. Finally got it to throw a miss fire code on cyl 3 (cleared) then cyl 4. I noticed when replacing head gaskets one coil pack had been replaced and one ways original. I ordered 2 new packs as the plugs and wires are new. Have not installed them yet but ill follow up when i do.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gulfdisco
my 04 is doing something similar. Tried 2 new sets of plugs. Finally got it to throw a miss fire code on cyl 3 (cleared) then cyl 4. I noticed when replacing head gaskets one coil pack had been replaced and one ways original. I ordered 2 new packs as the plugs and wires are new. Have not installed them yet but ill follow up when i do.
I wont hurt to replace them but 3 and 4 are fired from different coils so I dont know?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GCBurke
Do you have a scan tool or can find someone with a scan tool that can read real time data (cylinder misfire count). This will point you to the where the misfire is .
So last night I have a buddy that is a level 3 tech and I had him look at it. He could not find anything out of the ordinary. He suggested it was fuel related, thinking either a leaky injector, bad fuel, or air is somehow getting into the fuel line.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by gulfdisco
For sure!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Changed coils last night. No more miss fires. running ngk plug wires, bosch platinum plugs and amazon coils.