Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power (No Codes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loss of Power (No Codes)

My 2003 Disco seems to have lost power. I notice it while trying to accelerate on exit ramps or passing (ie. going into overdrive). Could be that since adding all the steel bumpers and racks and oversizing the tires slightly its just struggling but I was just curious what kind of engine related things can be going on that would cause it to lose power when everything seems to be fine (ie. no codes, misfires etc..)

Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you try to check breather hose when engine gets warm a little? can you find any "GOOD" smoke from breather hose?

when did you service ur Fuel filter??

I had disco 2 td5 couple months ago. bought from used car dealer, during driving test, power is good, no smoke from tail and barely any smoke from breather hose. after I pick up my car, send for oil change, POWER totally lost!!! smoke badly... I wonder what kind of oil treatment they put in the engine....

from 0KM/h, the engine power struggle. After pick up certain speed, the engine able to speed up a little better. I did oil change, fuel filter change, air filter change, FPR change, MAF change.... no luck.. PLUG in computer, No codes. Then, its time to take out engine~. turn out to be liner wear out, con rod bearing going(luck me, I did not damage/cook the crankshaft). I manage to keep std size of my crankshaft. I did not go for oversize bore piston, I replace with aftermarket liner just trying to keep std size piston.

In the past, I have had oversize piston in diff engine, really a nightmare. Though I could save penny, perhaps I got no luck. When fresh rebuilt, engine power increase. After putting ~40,000KM, engine overheat, piston cook, sealed against liner. have to scrap the engine block.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Did you check pressure at rail?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

MAF can be bad without throwing codes.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
MAF can be bad without throwing codes.

yeah. thats what I did in the past, last option to go with-MAF.... still no luck.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've replaced the MAF not too long ago. I thought it might be the fuel filter. I just called Atlantic British and they said for a 2003 DISCO that the filter is in the pump and not serviceable. Is that true? Seems kinda crazy!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by srockrae
I've replaced the MAF not too long ago. I thought it might be the fuel filter. I just called Atlantic British and they said for a 2003 DISCO that the filter is in the pump and not serviceable. Is that true? Seems kinda crazy!
Yes that is true for all the V8 D2's.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Not too crazy. Almost every modern car has no serviceable fuel filter. They found out that most people won't change them anyway, so instead of burning up the pump pushing fuel through a bad filter they just rely on the screen sock inside the tank and screens at the injectors. It seems to work, D2 pumps last many many more miles than D1 pumps. In my experience and from what I've heard from others anyway.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

What MAF did you use? OE Bosch or something else? Do you use a stock style air filter or something like a K&N?

Have you tried checking for codes even if the check engine light isn't on? Maybe there are some pending codes?

How about transmission. Does it feel like it's shifting correctly? Any change in performance if you shift it manually?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when did you put on the tires and bumpers recently?

Quick Reply: Loss of Power (No Codes)