Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power OR Safe Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power OR Safe Mode

Hiya
Sorry, but I have no idea about this sort of thing... Hope someone may be able to give me an idea. TIA
2000 Disco 2 Auto
Picked up my Disco 2 from garage today after the gearbox issue last week (G/box overheat light coming on). Oils and filter change.
On the way home, I got on the motorway and could not get it past 60 KPH. Getting off the motorway there is a hill. Disco just limped along at a walking pace. There are NO lights on the dash.
Tried turning it off and restarting. Just the same.
I have had to dump it in a local village until tomorrow and get a lift home as I live in the mountains so cannot drive it up here.
This may be a red herring, but I had a bit of a fumble when I tried to unlock it earlier and it would not seem to unlock. Tried the key fob, then the key, then the key fob again. Eventually, it unlocked and we drove off, but THEN I noticed the lack of acceleration. As it is new (to me), I was not sure if the lack of power was actually an issue at the time. I drive sedately, so may not notice a lack of power at first.
I don't know what other info to give here. Please ask if you have questions and I will try to answer. Thanks

Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

you said this happened right after you picked it up from the shop that replaced the transmission oil and filter?

you should take it back.

But I'm going to guess they didn't seat the filter correctly and its not picking up up enough fluid to pressurize the transmission correctly...

Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
5th Gear
Default Filter seating

Thanks DGI 07. I will ship it back tomorrow. Thanks very much

Old 03-24-2017, 01:34 AM
5th Gear
Default Intercooler Hose

Thanks for the response
It was an intercooler hose that had come off. The clip was broken
Gonna take it out today (Friday) and just use it for a few hours and see what happens next
Thanks again

Old 03-25-2017, 01:49 AM
5th Gear
Default Issues understood better, I think

Thanks for all the help and advice

I now believe that the overheating issue is the temp sender, which I will have changed in a week or two when I have the g/box oil changed again

The creep / safe mode issue is caused by the immobiliser system and I can sort it by relocking and unlocking the vehicle (maybe a couple of times)

Getting there now I think. Gonna use it for work this week and see if I can get through the week without getting it grua'd (recovered) to a garage

Thanks once again