Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power Steering While Turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
fill it up and add dye and check for leaks. Seen a few pumps go but seen a box that broke internally causing a loss of power steering with no noise just no power steering.

I still have Power but it would go out (stick) every now and again as described earlier in the thread. The difference is I never had a leak. However, tonight I started leaking something and need to replace either the PS pump, hose, or box. I will add the dye and see where it is coming from.

I guess to ask it another way.... would a bad steering box cause the pump to blow a seal or start to leak?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by marshman 442
Well I lived with the issues and finally need to replace the pump and / or steering box. I am not sure which one. I have a noisy pump (the sounds is a groaning / whining like the fluid is low, but it actually full). And the truck started leaking PS fluid tonight. There is fluid leaking all over the frame rail and inner fender, hoses. How do I know if the steering box is shot or if the pump is shot?
The bearings in your power steering pump are shot.
This time though do yourself a HUGE favor and DO NOT add Lucas power steering burn up your power steering pump bearings and waste your money crap to the power steering system.
That stuff is to thick for the pump to pump and will burn up your pump more often than not.
If you already had a problem and were desperate fine, but if you were already fine, then dont do it.
I added it to my wifes power steering because it had a problem with the rack and pinion.
It fixed the rack and pinion but fried the pump.
A rebuilt pump is under $100, a rebuilt rack and pinion is $500 plus labor so I am ahead of the game.
Oh, this was 2 years ago and her power steering pump still whines.
Once it fails completely I will replace it, other wise screw it I hate that car anyway.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D2s are very prone to the pump shaft breaking. The first signs are intermittent loss of power assist, belt noise or shredded belt, overheating when it spits the shaft out and throws the belt.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that about the D2 pumps. New pump and all three hoses are on the way from British Parts of Utah. I will be running royal purple synthetic in the new system moving forward.

Pump change out is straight forward from what I can tell. I need to pull the radiator to replace the high pressure hose right?