Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost one and only key to disco :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greenwade
That is true, but do not plan on using it to start the D2s. Damn smart keys. When i bought my disco 2 it only came with one key. From what I understand is that new keys can only be programmed by a dealer, which like always will rip you off. Needless to say i now how copies that will open the doors but because they are just a normal cut copy of the key without the microchip in it they will not work in the ignition. If someone knows of another way to have the keys programed other than the dealership it would make me happy so i could have a spare. Also anyway that we could get some pics of your hotwire job?
Did you ever try the new key in the ignition?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i just spent a little while looking at the origional key and the two copies made. The copies are just a smidge longer than the original so they will not slide all of the way into the ignition because they bottom out. They work fine in the doors because there is no backing on those locks. The DAMN stealership got me again, they are the ones that told me that i had to have a special key made and programed by them.... i am sure glad that i just decide to not have them make me a copy of the key and hope that i did not lose mine. I am going to go have a word with them before work tomorrow. Maybe ill make a voice note of it on my cell phone and post it on here.
P.S. a smidge is smaller than a tad

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Same problem

Hiya, saw your post and would love to do that with my disco beater. I can't even tell you how many times I've lost the keys and I live in a place where I would never have to worry about it getting stolen. I tried finding the same post on discoweb but no luck; I was curious if you would be able to tell me how or where I can figure it out? Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something I have worried about happening. I have an extra door key but my key is a fob. Can i take the key with the fob to someone and get it duplicated to where t will start the truck? It would just be nice to know if I misplaced my key fob I wouldn't have to hot wire it or go to the stealership to get one fabbed up.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bigcraigman
This is something I have worried about happening. I have an extra door key but my key is a fob. Can i take the key with the fob to someone and get it duplicated to where t will start the truck? It would just be nice to know if I misplaced my key fob I wouldn't have to hot wire it or go to the stealership to get one fabbed up.
Just take it to any locksmith. It doesn't matter if it is a FOB or not.

Also, I have 2 FOBS and 1 regular flat metal key. There is no chip in the FOBs. I can unlock and drive my Disco with the regular ole flat key.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish I found this thread earlier. Im the shmuck who purchased the $325 key from tge dealership only to have it not work. My ignition is so worn out that I have to wiggle the key, slide it in and out, before the damn thing will unlock. Sucks. I voiced my concerns to them and they tried selling me a new ignition. I said, no thanks, me and my sore *** are outta here.

Dealership = 1
Me = 0

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
It was a joke, I don't need a key to steal it, you told us how to start it.
bro...why do you keep asking everyone where they live. I'm not telling you I told you.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my local hardware store cut me two spare keys for about 10 bucks. we tested opening and starting the truck while i was there and got it all working just fine. i have an 03.

The following users liked this post:
thearmlesswonder (10-19-2015)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by GARovee
Well.. What can I say? The keys grew legs and walked off. Looked for them all weekend. Thank god for google and a post on discoweb on how to hot wire a disco. Bought two micro switches and mounted them on the roof console right above the sunroof switches. One acc/run and one to start. A hammer and a flat head screwdriver unbolted the ignition switch and stiffed it up in behind the dash. Didn't cut a single factory wire or harness. No steering lock but hey I have push start now $39 got spent at bestbuy for keyless entry module.. So about 45 bucks total to fix a major f-up. Can go back to factory set up since I cut nothing and damaged nothing when ever I have a few hundred dollars for new keys and fobs and dealer programming.
Hey I've got the same problem on a 2000 land rover discovery two series. Can you tell me the wire diagram.. I can't find anything. I seen the plug on top the ignition with several wires running from it, and the two wires from the side ignition that are black an white. If you can tell me how you did it in detail I'd really really appreciate it! Also you can call me which would be easier an better if that was ok with ya.
Jesse 812-267-0073

Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit
my local hardware store cut me two spare keys for about 10 bucks. we tested opening and starting the truck while i was there and got it all working just fine. i have an 03.
This is exactly what I needed to kno. I have a SE 03 and have no clue what my only key is. Sounds like I can hot wire it LOL Or ..... Have some one just cut a key for me on site. If they will do and not get scared ..... Do you know what Key they used at the Hardware store by chance ? It might say on the spare key you have.

Quick Reply: Lost one and only key to disco :(