Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost and worried - clicking/ticking noise underneath engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
Have you checked the torque converter bolts that hold it to the ring gear plate???
What must one check with the tq bolts?
I was told the same and removed the oil pan, removed the 4 bolts, gave the tq converter a twirl to check for cracks in the flex plate and then bolted it all up again. It made no change besides introduce and oil pan gasket leak.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, he's a bit out of the way for me and it can be a chore to get out there. However, I've found him to be fast/reliable/easy to work with. Unfortunately, my rig has spent more time there recently than I wish to admit...

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Hah I stop by there a lot - I think I saw your rig? Good luck. I'm curious what they changed in the pumps between the earlier years and the later DIIs?!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry Low end Knock

This was the sound my 03 made just before it dropped a liner at 71k miles. New engine time, i think.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JAC
My '04 engine crapped the bed and after it was rebuilt it almost immediately started losing coolant. My great mechanic (Wally at Loudoun Rover in Chantilly, VA) stood by his work and did a gratis engine swap and I ended up with a rebuilt engine from a 2002 Range Rover.

Anyway, this new to me engine has the same thing described in this thread. Sounds like normal from a cold start but the clicking starts once the engine gets warm. It has 5w40 motor oil right now--i'm about 300 miles into the oil change.

It sounds like there is probably not much to worry about, but I'd like to try to fix the noise if possible...
Damn you just got a new motor and it's already having problems? WTF

I assume you got this recently?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Drifting
Default Rover Expert In MA

Check out this company they might be able to help.

JE Robison Service Company, Inc.

347 Page Boulevard, Springfield, Massachusetts 01104 USA
Phone 413-785-1665 Fax 413-785-0970
robison@robisonservice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Mudding

I am done worrying about my engine tick/knock noise. After 2 shops came up with the diagnosis of being a slipped liner (at least that's the conclusion they came up with). I just decided to drive it until it dies. So far it has been 1500 miles, no coolant loss issues, no oil burn problem, ticks loud at idle. I got so tired of worrying about how much money I need to spend to fix it I just basically gave up and decided to enjoy it. There are enough worries in life as is.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by discoboy
I am done worrying about my engine tick/knock noise. After 2 shops came up with the diagnosis of being a slipped liner (at least that's the conclusion they came up with). I just decided to drive it until it dies. So far it has been 1500 miles, no coolant loss issues, no oil burn problem, ticks loud at idle. I got so tired of worrying about how much money I need to spend to fix it I just basically gave up and decided to enjoy it. There are enough worries in life as is.
I wish I could click the "Like" button on this. Mine has been ticking for the last 48,000 miles now. Yup, you read that right, 48,000 miles! The dealer wanted to put a new engine in it back then, but I was a few months out of warranty so LRNA wouldn't foot the bill- they offered me $2,000 towards the repair ($10k at the dealer) or towards a new Land Rover/Jaguar product. I decided to take my chances and that's the last time the dealer ever saw my truck. It's still a disturbing (and sometimes embarrassing) sound, but the truck runs great in spite of it. I'm friends with the owner of a local Independent LR shop, he and the tech working for him are both LR Certified Master Techs, and they tore into an '03 making the same noise and went through everything only to find that everything looked good! The best guess is that it is piston skirts or wrist pins, but not ultimately life-threatening to the engine. Just obnoxious.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I wish I could click the "Like" button on this. Mine has been ticking for the last 48,000 miles now. Yup, you read that right, 48,000 miles! The dealer wanted to put a new engine in it back then, but I was a few months out of warranty so LRNA wouldn't foot the bill- they offered me $2,000 towards the repair ($10k at the dealer) or towards a new Land Rover/Jaguar product. I decided to take my chances and that's the last time the dealer ever saw my truck. It's still a disturbing (and sometimes embarrassing) sound, but the truck runs great in spite of it. I'm friends with the owner of a local Independent LR shop, he and the tech working for him are both LR Certified Master Techs, and they tore into an '03 making the same noise and went through everything only to find that everything looked good! The best guess is that it is piston skirts or wrist pins, but not ultimately life-threatening to the engine. Just obnoxious.
Very interesting! Mine ticked for 10k miles before i sold it. It never got any worse ran great and sometimes it would go away for a bit. It could also get loud at times. In the end even though I figured it would last I just hated that tick... drove me nuts so I sold it.... Which was not easy ticking like that...loved the look on there face when they started it up..LOL

Last edited by David A; 03-07-2011 at 05:44 PM.