Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Percolating Sound Coming from Power Steering Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loud Percolating Sound Coming from Power Steering Reservoir

New member here, long-time reader, very grateful for all the advice. 2000 Disco 2, original owner, 150,000 miles, new OEM engine at 92,000 miles under extended, extended, extended warranty. Recent work (within last year): replaced power steering pump; replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, coil packs. About to do front end (tie rods and ball joints are worn). I have been conscientious about service, but after relocating to Alabama from California, I haven't been able to find an independent mechanic with significant LR experience.

The last two days, when I turn the engine on, there's a loud percolating noise (I hear it in the cabin) coming from the power steering reservoir: large bubbles visible in the reservoir when the engine is running, and the sound is coming right from there. Ever since the power steering pump was replaced, there has been a low whine (not a groan) when I turn the steering wheel.

My question: does this sound like the system needs to be bled? or is it more likely the power steering pump gone bad (again, this was replaced just less than a year ago, probably 6k miles on it since then). And: is it a risk to drive it like this to the mechanic? or would it be preferable to have it towed?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthByWest
New member here, long-time reader, very grateful for all the advice. 2000 Disco 2, original owner, 150,000 miles, new OEM engine at 92,000 miles under extended, extended, extended warranty. Recent work (within last year): replaced power steering pump; replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, coil packs. About to do front end (tie rods and ball joints are worn). I have been conscientious about service, but after relocating to Alabama from California, I haven't been able to find an independent mechanic with significant LR experience.

The last two days, when I turn the engine on, there's a loud percolating noise (I hear it in the cabin) coming from the power steering reservoir: large bubbles visible in the reservoir when the engine is running, and the sound is coming right from there. Ever since the power steering pump was replaced, there has been a low whine (not a groan) when I turn the steering wheel.

My question: does this sound like the system needs to be bled? or is it more likely the power steering pump gone bad (again, this was replaced just less than a year ago, probably 6k miles on it since then). And: is it a risk to drive it like this to the mechanic? or would it be preferable to have it towed?
I have an 03 and 04 with the same whine. the 04 has a brand new pump i installed. I had to bleed the system to get it to act right. Cali to alabama that's interesting. What part? I live down south near the beach.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Check that the Suction Line is not collapsing on itself preventing flow.

Check for ANY leaks at hoses/o rings, clamps, etc... then do a proper bleed from the bleed screw on the top of the PS Box.

Use a piece of clear hose 3/8" OD X 1/4" ID to minimize the mess.

Last edited by OverRover; 06-04-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gulfdisco
I have an 03 and 04 with the same whine. the 04 has a brand new pump i installed. I had to bleed the system to get it to act right. Cali to alabama that's interesting. What part? I live down south near the beach.

Tuscaloosa. Decided to switch career/life paths and go back to grad school.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Thank you for the very clear instructions. I will take it to a mechanic friend and we'll get this done.

One question: is there risk in driving it in this condition to his shop (about 45 miles)? or would it be preferable to have it towed?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthByWest
Thank you for the very clear instructions. I will take it to a mechanic friend and we'll get this done.
One question: is there risk in driving it in this condition to his shop (about 45 miles)? or would it be preferable to have it towed?
Risk, maybe because what we know is something is wrong with the steering hydraulics.
If the PS pump or one of the hoses/lines completely pukes, your steering is going to get very heavy so this is more of a safety issue.
Not to mention a bigger mess to clean up under the hood from the PS fluid, AND you will 100% NEED a tow.

So if the mechanic was 5 minutes away I'd probably drive it.

45 miles away a tow is the smarter way to go.

Last edited by OverRover; 06-04-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Drifting

That makes total sense, thank you. I've got AAA, so it won't cost me anything.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Drifting

My new mechanic took a look at it, and said that while the power steering system does need to be bled, the main noise I was hearing was a clacking sound coming from the fan: it was wobbling, which he traced to a broken water pump.

He said it was somewhat odd, because the system was not losing coolant, there did not appear to be a leak anywhere, and the reading on the temperature gauge remained normal. I've ordered new parts.

My question: About 1000 miles ago, my old (now deposed) mechanic replaced the valve cover gaskets, which is a significant job, since it involves removing the intake. Is there a mistake he could have made in putting the engine back together that could have caused the water pump to fail? There were intermittent sounds I heard almost immediately after he finished the job that I was never able to replicate when I brought the truck in for him to look at.