Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud whine noise from trans area

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default loud whine noise from trans area

My 01 D2 with 140,000 suddenly started a loud whine from the transmission/ transfer case area. It is higher in pitch with speed and I can feel it in the (d1 converted) transfer stick. It is not present while coasting but is there when on the gas at all.
I plan to check diff fluid level to rule out the easy things. Any experience or thoughts? Does the transfer case have it's own fluid too?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

yes, the transfer case has its own fluid that's separate from the transmission fluid.
does the whine change if you shift the transfer box into a different ratio?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

You should check both the trans and transfer at least twice a year.

also grab your front shaft and twist it, makes sure its solid and not floppy at the joint.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Update; diff was good, got mne fluid in.
transfer case only had 1 quart come out. Fluid looked ok, pretty good amount of shavings on magnet, no chunks. So it must have run low and dry for too long. Put in new 85/140 standard oil .A lot quieter but for sure makes the noise.
Ignore forever or replace?
Certain oil fix it better?

Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken08
Update; diff was good, got mne fluid in.
transfer case only had 1 quart come out. Fluid looked ok, pretty good amount of shavings on magnet, no chunks. So it must have run low and dry for too long. Put in new 85/140 standard oil .A lot quieter but for sure makes the noise.
Ignore forever or replace?
Certain oil fix it better?
this is why I change every fluid every year yes it takes a good part of the day but as far as preventative maintenance it adds miles and knowing the condition is worth the knowledge.

I dont think any oil can make it better, once the damage is done, it's done. You could experiment and see if a particular oil makes it quieter.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

It's definitely only gonna get worse. And extra metal circulating will compromise everything else so, better to repair sooner than trying to nurse it along. If you've ever seen a noisy one taken apart, you'll understand why it's so important to keep up on fluids. Even if you do, sometimes they fail anyway but low/old fluids are the fastest, surest way to failure.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Well I was hoping to limp this Rover along for less than another year. Not yet planning to dump another transfer case in to it so I guess all I can do is hope it doesn't grenade itself.
i assume as far as a proper repair a replacement case is the solution?
I feel like the magnet got the shavings pretty well but I'll probably do another fluid change soon to make sure I get all the shavings out.
Sad news for old Rover.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Rock Crawling

here is the magnet during the change.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Run it til it fails

That is a fair amount of shavings, but no chunks of gear, and as long as you dont get grinding or any other noise, it is fine.

A second fluid change in a month or two wont hurt to flush out any more garbage in there. If you want to do one every month for a few months, that would be a good way to monitor continual wear.

Otherwise, fill it and run it. the LT230 is very stout and some whine doesnt indicate imminent death.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

how about some redline shockproof lube? Sounds perfect

HEAVY SHOCKPROOF®

• Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
  • For heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, problem gearboxes
  • Many performance racing applications like Sprint/Midget/Dirt Late Model Differentials, Detroit Lockers and spools, NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car rear ends
  • Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness

Quick Reply: loud whine noise from trans area