Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Beam Headlights not working on both sides

Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Low Beam Headlights not working on both sides

I am trying to pass my state inspection and I can not future out why my low beam/dim headlights are not working. The high beams and park lights work fine and the dash indicator light works fine also. When I switch from hi to low beam I only get park lights on low beam.

So far I have taken out my light switch on the steering collar and cleaned, lubricated, and refitted it so the dimmer switch works a lot better now. I also checked for voltage at the back of the headlight housing, the highs I get 12volts, on low beam I get nothing. Also checked fuses and everything checks out. Didn't check the relay, don't know much about it. Checked L Rover Workshop manual but didn't get much help on wiring diagram for 99 Disco 2. Not sure what else to do, thought about buying new bulbs but not sure if both low beams would blow out simultaneously.

Please help, Id be happy to get any suggestions.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can check for volts at fuses 9 & 10 under dash. If you have volts there the stalk switch is OK.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

just for grins....I know you said you checked voltage at the headlamp plug....but try stripping the wires back a little there and check it again, both of my Discos needed new wire plugs as the old ones were beat.....but didnt "look" bad...its worth a look

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, you mentioned you didn't check the relays. Try swapping a relay under the hood with one you know works. Just pull one from another location and switch them. Be sure they are identical relays.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Ok I'll check those out and get back to let everyone know the results.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Ok well this is an update after checking all the above steps to troubleshoot my dim lights.
1) I checked fuses 9 and 10 and they where just fine, I didn't get voltage but they are not broken at all.
2) I looked to try swopping relays but I not sure which relays to swop. Under the dash are flasher relays (I think) so not sure if there is a high/low beam relay, if so someone please let me know so I can check it.
3) I cut the wire back on the backside of headlights and still have no fire on my low beam wire (blue/black). I checked the voltage on dimmer switch and volts are there. I think I found a dimmer resistor in the rear of the driver headlight that I'll check today.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. My inspections been delayed a week already and I really need some help.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I apologize for the above comment without some clarification. I thought there were specific relays for the high and low beams, but I guess not.

While not ALL of the below fuses, fusible links, and relays are directly related to lights, they are the ones I felt COULD be related. Check and replace as necessary.

Engine Compartment Fuse:
Check and Replace if Necessary

Engine Compartment Fusible Links:
1, 7, 10, 13
You should be able to see if these are burnt by looking through clear area.

Engine Compartment Relays:
7, 9, 12
Relays 6 thru 10 can be swapped for each other for testing.
Relays 11 thru 14 can be swapped for each other for testing.

Pass Compartment Fuses:
3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 22, 26
Check and Replace if Necessary

FL stands for Fusible Link:

Attached Thumbnails Low Beam Headlights not working on both sides-enginecompartment.jpg   Low Beam Headlights not working on both sides-passcompartment.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Drifting
Default No voltage @ low beam connector

After checking all the above steps to solve this problem with my low beams not working, I can still see there is no voltage at headlight socket when I switch to low beam on both sides. Does anyone know what that wire traces back to?

Also can anyone direct me to a diagram to the headlight/blinker switch to tells me which wires feed to different functions on that switch, maybe I can see if the switch is bad. Thanks for the ideas please keep'm coming.

Can someone help me with the Rave Repair Manuel I can't figure out the steps to make it work for me, not sure why.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Drifting

The solution (Finally): Ok after all the above steps to resolve my low beam problem I finally got to the bottom of the issue. A bad blinker/headlight switch. Now I didn't replace the switch because I'm working on a low budget (like $0) so I fixed the switch myself. I already took the switch off before when it no longer turned the headlights on about a year age. There was a plastic arm that broke in there, I took it apart and superglue it back and it worked. This time I took it apart and could see melted plastic that melted downward in a little spring loaded housing that changes the beam from high to low. There is a lever in that housing and the melted plastic lock down the lever keeping it on high beam. I cut back some of the plastic freeing the lever contact and now its free to switch from high to low beam. Not it makes that distinct clicking sound when changing beams. That distinct clicking could not be herd when it was broke.

Sorry for the long paragraph but I wanted to give an example that even on a low budget you can still fix your car. I could've easily replaced this part but this is a Land
Rover with high quality oem parts that can be fixed and still work after a long time. Also to show that car parts malfunction for normal operation all the time so don't be afraid to take something apart, find out how it works, and see if its fixable before replacing if you got the time to do so.

My friend from South Africa says that we Americans change and get rid of quality cars way to fast at his home a Land Rover stays with a family for 15 years easy... I think he has a point.

Thanks everyone for all your help you helped me learn how to trouble shoot a headlight issue that I'll keep for a while. Keep Rovering!!!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Where is the switch located that fixed the issue? My pass light will come to life for 2 seconds and then turn off until the dash switch is turned off. High beams work as does the parking light. I just put in all new bulbs and it n seems to me this wouldn't be a fuse issue since t the other lights are working. It feels like a short I in the electrical somewhere. I'm. No mechanic buy I learn easy. Ideas? I can't spend another 600 on giving this issue. Ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Beam Headlights not working on both sides