Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok guys... finally... I can put my hands on the Advance Auto press or ball joints... I recommend this one.. the one that Autozone rent.... it only has three adapters... the AA one has 17.... a big difference to do the job...
with the press on the axle...lower ball joint.... I has to use a propane torch.. just a little heat...and the turn the press...and crackkkk!!!! the ball joint breaks form its position....

Just for info....
the upper ball joint moves up to get it out.....and
the lower ball joint moves down...

if someone has to do it .... rent the advance auto ball joint tool... it is more complete and has all the adapters needed.....

thanks for your replays and see you around....

Old 03-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now fixed an alignment may be in order!
Don't be surprised to see the camber and castor angles a slight bit out!

This will most likely be on the passengers side !

Reason on left hookers, the axle will have got tweaked by heavy kerb impact at some time in its past!

If you drive a right hand drive on the other side of the road then the left side will be affected more often for the same reasons.

If you live in Africa or Central /South America the roads simply beat the ball joints to scrap. Washboarding on Bolivian dirt roads takes its toll but try Costa Rica some time for pot holes! Of course Olde Series Landrovers just take all of this in their stride!

Casually asking has anyone been south in their Landrover from the Mexican border?
T/V

Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mixed feelings about tackling mine which have the rubber seal ruptured at this point. I spoke with a member of our LR club who did his and also was the parts manager at the LR dealership. He said he broke or damaged 2 different presses and finally paid one of the techs from an independent shop here in Houston to come to his home and complete the job!

I've reached a point in my life after laboring on several vehicles I have owned of just biting the bullet and paying for some jobs to be done. I think I will just get an estimate on the service and start a savings plan to put the money aside!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
Now fixed an alignment may be in order!
Don't be surprised to see the camber and castor angles a slight bit out!

This will most likely be on the passengers side !

Reason on left hookers, the axle will have got tweaked by heavy kerb impact at some time in its past!

If you drive a right hand drive on the other side of the road then the left side will be affected more often for the same reasons.

If you live in Africa or Central /South America the roads simply beat the ball joints to scrap. Washboarding on Bolivian dirt roads takes its toll but try Costa Rica some time for pot holes! Of course Olde Series Landrovers just take all of this in their stride!

Casually asking has anyone been south in their Landrover from the Mexican border?
T/V

not in the rover, but I agree with the destruction of autos due to roads down
there. i've been all over central and some of south America. roads are like driving through a plowed field. costa rica and panama are among the worst. I've vibrated mufflers off and anything else that doesn't have the most rigid mounts. I've had to use roadside vines to reattach a seat to a rented scooter and a shoelace to make a throttle string on a motorcycle. not to mention the time I hit one of those skinny cows...yikes. costa rica spends as much money on roads as they do on their military ...... pura vida

Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes Costa Rica and roads, however I was in the country two years ago and they are improving it all with an autopista in the making from Nicaragua to San Jose.

A few years ago I did a run from the USA to Bolivia in a Pinzgauer (delivery) via Tucaman in Argentina.

Then I concluded the worst roads were Costa Rica and slightly better in Panama.

Having got to Panama I put the rig on ship to Guayaquil and then drove up to Cuzco and onto the via Pan Americana and my ultimate destination of Tarija. At one stage with Chilean roads I felt I could have just kept going to my favourite SFO of the south--Valpariso.
T/V

Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey TuercasViejas.... I travel to Mexico all days... I work over there...at Reynosa, Tamaulipas.... and yes the roads are a pain...not all over the city..but in some parts has a lot of bumps and holes... that sometimes you feel like if you are off road....... but this is not mandatory to all cities in the country.... biggest cities like Monterrey, Guadalajara and Mexico, DF... to say someones... are in good shape and to move around the country there are Hi-ways (Autopistas)... you has to pay... but that roads are in great shape.. if you get the non pay roads.. then you are in a bad shape roads almost all the time...