General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drop Arm Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Arm Ball Joint

Anyone found a good way to get the upper bearing face out of a drop arm ball joint? The joint is apart but it's so worn there's no face to drive out the upper bearing - grinding it out seems the only answer but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

Grateful for some advice...

Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Drop Arm Ball Joint

Easiest way is to use a long bolt a couple of good condition sockets and a susspension bolt from a freelander rear link.If the bolt is not available (ideal cos its got a built in washer at the bolt head with a little material removed from the diameter fits on the very fine ledge in the drop arm) you could use an old nut or socket ground down ,be patient making someting cos it really pays off if its done right also stops you bending the arm.You can use the new upper bush as a pattern to work to save trial and error . Put the bolt throught the top with the newly made pusher resting on the shoulder of the old top part of the joint ,then a suitable long spacer on the underside with a nut and then just tighten it to pull the bolt head through,with any luck the top part of the joint should pull through ,then to put it back just do the oppositeor tap it in with a suitable hammer.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Drop Arm Ball Joint

Many thanks for the reply, but the problem I've got is that the joint is worn such that there is no fine ledge in the drop arm: there's nothing for the bolt head to push against. Useful tips though - I'll look out for a freelander rear link bolt for the next time I have to do this job - hopefully before the joint's got too worn!

Regards,