Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr disco 2 how i fixed the overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
you are either having blockage or restriction... could also be headgasket related. have you checked the plugs or done a block test? Do you get white smoke when you startup in the morning? is your exhaust wet at temputure? See if it's boiling in th expansion tank. Also check that you cap and bottom return on the tank is good and not cracked. Has happened on my range rover before. You may also want to consider a compression test... By your posts i would not drive it..

Let us know, Chris
I will again say I have never seen the temp gauge go above the normal range, so it is not overheating, it just goes up toward the top of the range occasionally, and I may expect that in 115 degree weather sitting in traffic. It only goes up while the A/C is on after driving for a while (short 5-10 mile trips wont cause it to go up), and like I said before, I am aware of the fact that 1 of the 2 condenser fans is not working (going to get that fixed soon) I replaced the expansion tank and cap last year and got one of the good ones.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
I will again say I have never seen the temp gauge go above the normal range, so it is not overheating, it just goes up toward the top of the range occasionally, and I may expect that in 115 degree weather sitting in traffic. It only goes up while the A/C is on after driving for a while (short 5-10 mile trips wont cause it to go up), and like I said before, I am aware of the fact that 1 of the 2 condenser fans is not working (going to get that fixed soon) I replaced the expansion tank and cap last year and got one of the good ones.
From this post I lean toward your condenser fan issue; replace the faulty one and you will probably notice an improvement at idle. That's where you really need the additional air across your radiator the condenser fans provide.
From your previous post on hearing a waterfall, I really think you should vent your system per the sticky provided at the beginning of this forum, and monitor that very closely. Once filled and vented properly, you should not be hearing any air circulating through your system. If you continue to hear it, you have a problem that will not go away and only cause you time and money in the near future.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ok..

Originally Posted by Rover Chris

Ok , but you said you had a hose blow...a condensor fan wont blow a hose and usally a overheat wont blow a hose...pressure will blow a hose and a overheat will bring out a weak link..ie headgasket, liner, block, head... My fans didnt work a a few months and being stuck in miami traffic when its almost 100 out ..never over heated when running properly. When things arent working properly...over heating...

Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2000 Disco Temp Question?

My temp guage reads normal. When I stop the car and try to open the hood it is EFING HOT and takes forever to cool down. I just got the truck and I love the POS. What can you recommend, other than getting another truck, to make it cooler???What and where is the T thing you guys are talking about? Please be easy, I am new to the Land Rover world.

Thanks Mike

Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my question is if gases are entering the cooling system and getting trapped behind the tstat, if you let them past it then aren't they just going to get trapped in the top of the radiator eventually filling it up causing reduced cooling and eventual overheating that way?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default yep...

Originally Posted by tweakrover
my question is if gases are entering the cooling system and getting trapped behind the tstat, if you let them past it then aren't they just going to get trapped in the top of the radiator eventually filling it up causing reduced cooling and eventual overheating that way?

yep...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by imike1007
My temp guage reads normal. When I stop the car and try to open the hood it is EFING HOT and takes forever to cool down. I just got the truck and I love the POS. What can you recommend, other than getting another truck, to make it cooler???What and where is the T thing you guys are talking about? Please be easy, I am new to the Land Rover world.

Thanks Mike
If your gauge reads normal, leave it alone. It is an aluminum engine and retains heat like no other. A very hot engine bay is totally normal. You can cut in side vents and install bilge blowers from a boat if it really bugs you, but I would leave it alone.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to mention overpresurizing everything causing hoses to blow, and leaving you with a false impression that you are full of coolent when half of the cooling system is full of hot exhaust gas. I'm the biggest fan of doing it yourself and finding a cheaper part than the dealership, but you are talking about taking an asprin for a heart attack, you don't take an asprin and forget it happened, you take it on the way to the emergency room. If you are just going to drive your truck til it dies than by all means do, but in that case this whole thread is pointless pull the t stat and be done with it.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default weston fl...

Originally Posted by imike1007
Thanks for the advice.

Weston fl...your my neighbor.... Im at sheridan and 75...im in weston all the time...

Quick Reply: Lr disco 2 how i fixed the overheating issue