Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr disco 2 how i fixed the overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
i pulled my entire engine out of my truck and completly dissembled it to the bare block with a husky socket set my wife gave me 6 years ago for christmas. You will need a few metric sockets you can buy at the auto zone. You dont need to pull the moter to do the heads. download the rave and go over it. when you pull the heads you take them to a machine shop and give them new valve seats. It should cost arounf $190.00 for both heads rebuilt. The gasket set from AB is $179.00 for everything you need. get new thermostat and waterpump as the waterpump is only $99.00. How many miles on the truck? you could also do the oil pan gasket and check the timing chain while you are at it. Mine was streached way out. I look at it ..if you are going to pull the heads you might as well check, timing chain, oil sump, cam, lifters, push rods and rockers while you have everything off. But thats me....

Let us know and we can help you, Chris

Just to add:
The head gasket set from AB does NOT contain the head bolts. They are $79.95.
Check your expansion tank cap too. ($23.95) If in doubt, replace it.
Get yourself a good torque wrench.
Oddball sockets you will need: 8mm 12pt (valve covers) & 12mm 12pt (exhaust manifold)
Look around for a good machine shop. There are some crap ones.... ask me how I know...

Eric

Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ditto

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Just to add:
The head gasket set from AB does NOT contain the head bolts. They are $79.95.
Check your expansion tank cap too. ($23.95) If in doubt, replace it.
Get yourself a good torque wrench.
Oddball sockets you will need: 8mm 12pt (valve covers) & 12mm 12pt (exhaust manifold)
Look around for a good machine shop. There are some crap ones.... ask me how I know...

Eric

ditto...

Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder if that steel sEAL WILL WORK?? ANYBODY TRY THAT?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default your reaching..

Originally Posted by sito007
i wonder if that steel sEAL WILL WORK?? ANYBODY TRY THAT?

you are reaching......forget it with a LR.....

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try "blue Devil" guaranteed to work or your money back!
Why not? Especially if you need a new block......
Hey CHris, have you seen this??

http://www.robisonservice.com/articl...R_fall2003.asp

Halfway down, it says you can get a block for $1000.....

Eric

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default wont work

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Try "blue Devil" guaranteed to work or your money back!
Why not? Especially if you need a new block......
Hey CHris, have you seen this??

http://www.robisonservice.com/articl...R_fall2003.asp

Halfway down, it says you can get a block for $1000.....

Eric

that wont work either,,well it will then a few months down the line it will blow again....

Yea, $1,000.00...IN 2003......not anymore...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Overlanding
Question

ok ok update guys, i went to this morning to another mechanic shop and asked the guy to put the computer and give me a diagnostic and acted like i didn't know what was wrong (i had a feeling the other two shops were pulling my chain) , i told him the check engine light just came on and didn't tell him about my overheating problems, anyways he got six codes and find out that my the coil's are bad and its not sparking plug "6 and "8. i changed the wires with cheap ones from autozone and im planing to get good ones now from AB ( Ignition Wire Set - Magnecor Performance Electrosports Wires - 7MM) >> http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9206MAG.cfm Part number> 9206MAG .
or if anyone knows where to get them cheaper online?
I'm also getting the coil pack but not sure if its missing something there>>> http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6566.cfm .
part number> ERR6566 .

I also changed the spark plugs with those Bosch FOUR HEADED PLUG'S, the guy told me I cant use them on LR and that I have to take them out and get champion spark plugs because they are design for LR . I called the LR dealer and they said i could use champion or Bosch as long as they are platinum and when i asked the dealer if i could use the FOUR HEADED PLUGS AND THAT THOSE ARE PLATINUM the guy just didn't give me a straitE answer and wanted to sell me regular plugs for $18.00 each and the coil set for $480.00 and i said f@ck off and hanged up.

I have a feel my overheating problem is that the t stat i got change out the first time is defected. that's why i had to put a screw in it to leave it open.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Overlanding
Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default try these

Originally Posted by sito007
ok ok update guys, i went to this morning to another mechanic shop and asked the guy to put the computer and give me a diagnostic and acted like i didn't know what was wrong (i had a feeling the other two shops were pulling my chain) , i told him the check engine light just came on and didn't tell him about my overheating problems, anyways he got six codes and find out that my the coil's are bad and its not sparking plug "6 and "8. i changed the wires with cheap ones from autozone and im planing to get good ones now from AB ( Ignition Wire Set - Magnecor Performance Electrosports Wires - 7MM) >> http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9206MAG.cfm Part number> 9206MAG .
or if anyone knows where to get them cheaper online?
I'm also getting the coil pack but not sure if its missing something there>>> http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6566.cfm .
part number> ERR6566 .

I also changed the spark plugs with those Bosch FOUR HEADED PLUG'S, the guy told me I cant use them on LR and that I have to take them out and get champion spark plugs because they are design for LR . I called the LR dealer and they said i could use champion or Bosch as long as they are platinum and when i asked the dealer if i could use the FOUR HEADED PLUGS AND THAT THOSE ARE PLATINUM the guy just didn't give me a straitE answer and wanted to sell me regular plugs for $18.00 each and the coil set for $480.00 and i said f@ck off and hanged up.

I have a feel my overheating problem is that the t stat i got change out the first time is defected. that's why i had to put a screw in it to leave it open.

try these, I got these for my daughters DII 00 and when i changed the wires and plugs on friday ...it purs like a kitten. Save you some money....alot...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Overlanding
Exclamation thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by vandev
try these, I got these for my daughters DII 00 and when i changed the wires and plugs on friday ...it purs like a kitten. Save you some money....alot...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

Any info on the Bosch four headed plugs? can they be used on the disco? i been driving the truck for two days with them.

Quick Reply: Lr disco 2 how i fixed the overheating issue