Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Landys4ever
But in the case of my 03, no cdl, not even the option unless I break open my tran case. Open diff in the center means power shifts between front and rear. So not really true 4wd yet, right? At least the way I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You need a locking tcase to have semi-true 4x4. To have true 4x4 I suggest front and rear ARBs $$$$$

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by landys4ever
but in the case of my 03, no cdl, not even the option unless i break open my tran case. Open diff in the center means power shifts between front and rear. So not really true 4wd yet, right? At least the way i understand it. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
so get cdl

Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Landys4ever
But in the case of my 03, no cdl, not even the option unless I break open my tran case. Open diff in the center means power shifts between front and rear. So not really true 4wd yet, right? At least the way I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Plenty of people have installed CDL inside the t-case on their 03. Another option is to find a t-case from a 99-00 D2 and swap that in since they already have CDL.

Yes with an open differential power is going to be sent to whichever wheel has the least traction. If the front has traction the rear will get the power, just the opposite of what you want.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

man just when I started to think I was understanding the 4wd system in my truck you guys have to confuse the heck out of me again!!! I saw a diagram of how our trucks power was divided once, I wouldn't mind seeing that again here on this thread! also just curious if anyone knows what is the power distribution (by percentage) to each wheel is?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oh and by the way, you know this truck is all gears where else are they going to put the 2.5 tons of weight in our trucks!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that without the diff locked the main power goes to the rear passenger wheel. With the diff locked power is split between the rear passenger and driver front wheel. This is how it feels to me when I drive it but I am sure there is a better answer.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Isn't the Differential a clutching system? Isn't that why we don't get "Bind-up" on tight dry corners, unless you actually engage the Lock?
One of the nice things about a "open" diff is that it allows the wheels on the same axle to spin at different speeds.

A "limited slip" diff locks both wheels together under the right conditions but still allows each wheel to turn at different speeds when turning a corner.

A "locker", like ARB (brand name), Detroit Locker (brand name) or Lincoln Locker (brand name) lock both wheels together on the same axle, when both wheels are locked together it is very difficult to turn corners and it increases tire wear.

The 3 brands that I mentioned work in different ways, but they all do the exact same thing.

With a locking transfer case and driver skill and patience lockers are not needed for 95% of off roaders.
A winch would be a better and cheaper investment.
During all of the Camel Trophy they did not have lockers, they had a winch and drivers skill.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I hear the Detroit has been improved so it will unlock under the right conditions to allow for difference in tire speed like going around a corner. It used to be that with a locked axle the outside tire would drag going around the corner and wear out the tires very quickly.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Plenty of people have installed CDL inside the t-case on their 03.
As I also have every intention of doing. Can anyone recommend a good source for the conversion kit? Toddco, who also supplies the part that started this thread, offers a conversion kit. Know of any others?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
During all of the Camel Trophy they did not have lockers, they had a winch and drivers skill.
This I did not know!

Quick Reply: LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter