Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 HD Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lucky 8 HD Bumper

Last night I fitted my new bumper and brush guard from Lucky 8. I haven't seen any threads on this particular bumper so I wanted to start one. I first thought the bumper was the same as the Platinum Motorsport bumper, but it turns out to differ slightly. I think it looks better than the Platinum one anyways. The bumper itself was $888 shipped, which to me is a great price comparing to a lot of other bumpers out there. Now I don't know a whole lot about steel bumpers, but it looks like nice quality to me. Welds probably aren't as pretty as an ARB, but who really cares. It's a two piece bumper, with the brush guard being bolted on separate. Not sure if other bumpers are all one piece... Mounting brackets lined up fairly well, only needed some gentle persuasion with a mallet to get it seated nicely. All in all its great! Covers up the washer tank perfectly too and has plenty room for a winch provided you trim the grille. Two nice recovery points on the front. Gained a lot of approach angle over the stock bumper and more than the ARB i'm guessing as it only sticks out about a foot in the front. Only negative things I would say is the clearance between the brush bar and the headlights, only a couple millimeters, and no place for a high lift jack. Upgrade bumper bolts coming tomorrow! More pictures to come. Thanks Lucky 8!
FYI my rover is still on stock suspension. No idea why those pictures uploaded upside-down.

Attached Thumbnails Lucky 8 HD Bumper-seymdo1pq1cwoqpkjxjgvq.jpg   Lucky 8 HD Bumper-9wuq4uivssetp1zyk2wqlw.jpg   Lucky 8 HD Bumper-img_6739.jpg   Lucky 8 HD Bumper-img_7527.jpg   Lucky 8 HD Bumper-img_7094.jpg  

Old 03-12-2020, 12:50 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@Disco Aaron Avoid pulling sideways on that it may end badly, the early ARB used to mount in a similar fashion and they tended to bend.

It looks great but those 4 bolts seems a bit minimal to me, might just be the picture though but then I tend to over build for something I am winching off.

The newer ARB have a piece that ties into that inner angled piece on both sides for better strength.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Disco Aaron Avoid pulling sideways on that it may end badly, the early ARB used to mount in a similar fashion and they tended to bend.

It looks great but those 4 bolts seems a bit minimal to me, might just be the picture though but then I tend to over build for something I am winching off.

The newer ARB have a piece that ties into that inner angled piece on both sides for better strength.
good advice re: recovery points. As far as the four bolts go, it wouldn’t be very hard to fab a brace to add some more rigidity.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

That isn’t clearance between the headlight and the brush guard. That’s going to end up damaging your light.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
That isn’t clearance between the headlight and the brush guard. That’s going to end up damaging your light.
Agreed, and looks to be similar approach angle to an ARB. I would also be careful of side loading those recovery points. They appear awful thin and stick out a little too far for my taste from the photos.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:09 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Yeah, the bumper on the website shows alot more than that too.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Mudding

I may be able to adjust it a little to give some more light clearance. Or slightly slotting the mounting holes to allow it to move forward.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Mudding

Or even slotting the holes the actual brush guard mount to. Would be fairly easy and allow it to move forward an inch or two.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

It sucks to have to do that for it to fit right though.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:43 PM
Mudding

Being that it is a cheaper bumper, you get what you pay for. Still I am happy with it!

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (03-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Lucky 8 HD Bumper