Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 HD Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Disco Aaron try researching the way ARB bumper mount, you may find the difference and and easy fix

Old 03-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I paid 1500 here in Canada for my arb bumper. It looks great but there is no recovery points and the bumper is not strong at all.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I paid 1500 here in Canada for my arb bumper. It looks great but there is no recovery points and the bumper is not strong at all.
reason I didn’t want arb. Plus how much it sticks out. Lucky 8 only sticks probably less than a foot.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A few angles of my Lucky 8 bumper, clean and dirty. I am by no means a serious offroader but I have put the bumper under some different stresses over the last year that i have had it.
Pushed a car with it, pulled a few medium sized tree stumps, pulled some guys out of the mud. It is definitely a sturdy bumper for me and I love the look and especially the price!
Only negative I have is that the brush bar is only held on by some relatively short and thin studs and they are not stainless steel. Mine are pretty rusty after about a year and I am not very happy with that. I'm gonna have to hit it with the sand blaster and paint them or put some rust inhibitor on them, Boeing T9 spray does wonders on my boats and I get saltwater everywhere so I might go that route. Worst case Ill weld on some new studs but obviously that isn't an option for everyone.
I do have very limited clearance around my headlights but I definitely have more than Disco Aaron does.
I would recommend this bumper, just make sure you put something on to protect those studs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Bertha:
Richard Gallant (03-15-2020), Sixpack577 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Old Bertha thanks for the additional information

Old 03-15-2020, 02:14 PM
Mudding

Yes thanks you Old Bertha for the info on your bumper. Would you mind posting a picture of the clearance between the light and the brush guard to compare? And I believe the studs that came with mine were stainless steel, maybe it’s something they’ve updated. Adding the shackles in the front definitely improves the look as well!

Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I take it back, no clearance between the bar and headlight lol. I thought one of them had more clearance than the other but I guess that's just because I'm missing the headlight finisher on the passenger side. Been like that the whole time though so I can attest to the fact it wont damage anything. Slightly annoying having to remove the bar to mess with the headlights(bulb change) but I have LED's in there so I should be good for awhile.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM
Mudding

Agreed it does make it very difficult to change bulbs. I changed my passenger side yesterday and was able to change the bulb by taking out the battery and contorting my hand to fit in the small hole lol.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Mudding

Just some updated pictures. Added Hella 500’s and it greatly improved the look... and my visibility! Still no winch..

The following 3 users liked this post by Disco Aaron:
DiscoID (05-01-2020), Sixpack577 (05-01-2020), The Deputy (05-01-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I ordered the same bumper April 20th. I bought it for the simple fact that I only paid $900 for the vehicle. I'll be damned if I pay more for a bumper than what I paid for the entire car... LOL... I mean I bought the Disco for an Overlanding project/adventure rig for my little one and me. I told my wife it was a budget build. What's a D2 worth? It's gonna get beat up, I'm not gonna be trying to climb up 3' boulders or push trees over, but I'll thank @Old Bertha for pushing a car and pulling some trees. At least I know I can do that now. I'm glad you tested that out for the rest of us. It looks good for the price and serves it's purpose. I have a Smittybilt 10K winch in mine. Just spooled the synthetic line it it and let the winch pull me up the driveway to spool it on nice and tight didn't have any issues.
Now, I might question the studs that mount the brush guard to the actual bumper as they are kinda weak to me. I have no doubt the brush guard will fold back with ease if I hit anything with decent force on the brush guard itself, which will likely break a headlight or dent my rig, but anything is better than the brittle plastic bumper that was on there before, both aesthetically and performance wise. No way I was gonna pay $1200 for an ARB. You're paying for the name. Every one I've seen is rusted and looks like trash unless its a pavement queen in the West or the Southeast.
Enjoy it @Disco Aaron,it looks great.

Pardon the last picture. I'm tackling the front crank seal.

Quick Reply: Lucky 8 HD Bumper