Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 HD Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,279 Likes on 898 Posts

Nice looking bumper.

The following users liked this post:
soarvet (05-02-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soarvet
I ordered the same bumper April 20th. I bought it for the simple fact that I only paid $900 for the vehicle. I'll be damned if I pay more for a bumper than what I paid for the entire car... LOL... I mean I bought the Disco for an Overlanding project/adventure rig for my little one and me. I told my wife it was a budget build. What's a D2 worth? It's gonna get beat up, I'm not gonna be trying to climb up 3' boulders or push trees over, but I'll thank @Old Bertha for pushing a car and pulling some trees. At least I know I can do that now. I'm glad you tested that out for the rest of us. It looks good for the price and serves it's purpose. I have a Smittybilt 10K winch in mine. Just spooled the synthetic line it it and let the winch pull me up the driveway to spool it on nice and tight didn't have any issues.
Now, I might question the studs that mount the brush guard to the actual bumper as they are kinda weak to me. I have no doubt the brush guard will fold back with ease if I hit anything with decent force on the brush guard itself, which will likely break a headlight or dent my rig, but anything is better than the brittle plastic bumper that was on there before, both aesthetically and performance wise. No way I was gonna pay $1200 for an ARB. You're paying for the name. Every one I've seen is rusted and looks like trash unless its a pavement queen in the West or the Southeast.
Enjoy it @Disco Aaron,it looks great.
Brush Guard studs are definitely the weak point, put some anti-corrosion on them too, mine are almost completely covered in rust after a year. Not sure how I’m gonna go about replacing them. I definitely wouldn’t put any serious weight on them but better some protection then none. Also looks cool. and if you haven’t already I would replace the bolts that secure the bumper to the frame with some new grade 8 bolts, maybe a size up, with that winch. I did all my pulling and pushing from the bumper itself, original bolts but only because I keep forgetting to upgrade them. I don’t think I’d trust them to pull me out of a hole

Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bertha
Brush Guard studs are definitely the weak point, put some anti-corrosion on them too, mine are almost completely covered in rust after a year. Not sure how I’m gonna go about replacing them. I definitely wouldn’t put any serious weight on them but better some protection then none. Also looks cool. and if you haven’t already I would replace the bolts that secure the bumper to the frame with some new grade 8 bolts, maybe a size up, with that winch. I did all my pulling and pushing from the bumper itself, original bolts but only because I keep forgetting to upgrade them. I don’t think I’d trust them to pull me out of a hole
Thats probably a good idea to swap those bolts out with bigger ones. I’ll get around to doing that. I’m gonna try to get into the bumper and spray those bolts and nuts with some rust encapsulator. Hopefully that will prolong the life of those studs and nuts.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by soarvet
Thats probably a good idea to swap those bolts out with bigger ones. I’ll get around to doing that. I’m gonna try to get into the bumper and spray those bolts and nuts with some rust encapsulator. Hopefully that will prolong the life of those studs and nuts.
I may be totally wrong... but I think the brush bar mounts aren’t all that weak. The base plate of the brush bar that mounts to the bumper is what takes all the force if something were to hit it, right? I think the tubing would bend before the bolts would. But then again, I’m no engineer.