Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lucky8 power steering pump?

Curious if anyone has installed a power steering pump from Lucky8 recently and, if so, what kind of luck you've had with it. Older threads suggest L8 used to sell two different p/s pumps for DIIs - one that came with a 1-year warranty and one listed as OEM that came with a 2-year warranty. Looked like the consensus was to go with the OEM/2-year warranty. The site now only shows the non-OEM pump with the one-year warranty. AB is out of stock on the OE Hobourn pump they usually stock. I just want something quality that won't have me replacing it again anytime soon. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenZ
Curious if anyone has installed a power steering pump from Lucky8 recently and, if so, what kind of luck you've had with it. Older threads suggest L8 used to sell two different p/s pumps for DIIs - one that came with a 1-year warranty and one listed as OEM that came with a 2-year warranty. Looked like the consensus was to go with the OEM/2-year warranty. The site now only shows the non-OEM pump with the one-year warranty. AB is out of stock on the OE Hobourn pump they usually stock. I just want something quality that won't have me replacing it again anytime soon. Thanks.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Call them and make sure it's made in the UK. I've been bitten by THREE power steering pumps this year, none from the UK, most from Brazil. Two were remanufactured units that had bad bearings. One was a brand new one that didn't have the pulley flange tapped where the bolts screw into. They were just blank holes without threads. I've probably wasted about $200 of power steering fluid with all the pump replacements this year. Buy a pump made in the UK from Rovers North and don't deal with the issues I dealt with.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I appreciate the input. I did check Rovers North, but all they had listed was their "proline" pump (i.e., reboxed aftermarket) - with no manufacturer or warranty information provided, so I was hesitant there as well. Probably worth a call, as you suggest, to see what additional specifics they can provide.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenZ
I appreciate the input. I did check Rovers North, but all they had listed was their "proline" pump (i.e., reboxed aftermarket) - with no manufacturer or warranty information provided, so I was hesitant there as well. Probably worth a call, as you suggest, to see what additional specifics they can provide.
That's the one you want. It's an AllMakes unit built in the UK.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Just got off the phone with Lucky8. I was told the pumps they sell are from Allmakes and/or Bripart - manufactured in the UK. He said Allmakes had bought Britpart, or vice versa, so he wasn't sure which company they were technically from, but that they should be essentially the same thing.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Yes, Allmakes and Bripart are now one in the same. Also I would be a little hesitant to buy from either unless you know they source for certain. They may be shipped from the UK, not necessarily made there. But I will say that Britpart is a channel for OEM, so you never know. I bought OEM control arms, they came in Britpart boxes. But they had LR stamped bushings and such. I am sure with shipping a water pump will not be any sort of savings when shipped overseas if you do so yourself, but I get almost all my OEM parts from LRdirect.com - a massive savings over buying in the states even with shipping. I think my last order was $200 in shipping and I still saved about $500.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Good call. I've done the same with Rimmer Bros. several times, but it looks like LRDirect has the best prices on p/s pumps. They've got a britpart with a 2-year warranty for $135 or an OE with a 2-year warranty for $185. Even with the $40 shipping, that's cheaper than any of the options I'd trust in the States.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for the hijack

What about a Pump and Box combination. Replacing everything. Do not want to spend $1500 on a steering box. any remans anyone can recommend.